Chapter 17

Tobias POV

Its been nearly four months since I've last seen Tris. Life on the base has been tough. The heat is brutal, and there are so many bugs.

The locals have taken kindly to us. Just yesterday, as I was patrolling the streets, a young girl offered me a cup of murky water. Smiling, I took it, but when out of sight I gave it to a man sitting on a street corner.

Every night, before I go to sleep, I take out Tris's picture, and just stare at it. It's here eyes that lull me into sleep.

We call each other almost every week. She tells me how the rebuilding of her store is going, and I tell her about my missions into the city. Since there is such a big time difference, our chats usually end with her falling asleep. My heart nearly shatters every time I have to hit end call, but I know that it's just temporary.

-

-

-

As I sit anxiously on the plan, I feel my body begin to fill with pleasure as we grow closer and closer to our final destination. All the men have leave for a week to go visit their families. Tris should be waiting for me when I step off the plane, and these months apart have shown me just how much I need her in my life.

The plane begins it final descent, and I practically feel myself nearly bouncing in my seat. Behind me, Zeke laughs.

"Excited to see Prior?" I roll my eyes.

"Are you excited to see Shauna?" He grins and winks. I fake a gag and face forward. Normally, being up this high would scare me. But if it's bringing me home to her, then it's worth it.

The plane lands, and we begin to collect our duffel bags. I thank the pilot and walk down the steps to the landing station. Around me, couples and families are gathered, hugging, smiling, kissing. I look around, my eyes searching for one face in particular.

Then I spot her.

She see's my face and breaks from the crowd, running at me. I toss my duffel bag somewhere to the side, and open my arms just in time to catch her as she launches herself at me. I pick her up, and her legs wrap around my waist. She buries her face in my neck, and I pull her as close as I possibly can. Her face is wet with tears, and all I can think is finally .

"I'm home." I whisper into her hair. She nods, pulling back ever so slightly so she can meet her lips with mine. The kiss is warm, sweet, and the one thing I've been craving for all these month. I set her down and wrap my arms around her waist, not breaking the kiss. I pull her so she is flushed against my chest. After a while, we pull back to catch her breath. Her familiar eyes meet mine and I grin.

"Ready to go home?" She laughs and nods. We lace hands, and I stoop to pick up my duffel bag. We talk and laugh as we make our way out of the crowds, before hailing a cab and heading to her apartment.

-

-

-

We are greeted by a very energetic Felix greeting us at the door. He purrs loudly and claws playfully at my legs. I laugh and stoop to pick him up. he rubs his face into my chest, before jumping down and scurrying off to God know where. I turn to Tris.

"So, what do you want to do?" She raises an eyebrow. She walks towards me, slowly kissing my lips. The kiss turns fierce, and I pick her up, her legs wrapping around me, until we stumble to through the door of the bedroom.

-

Tris POV:

Tonight was amazing. His touch, one that I've been craving for months, was finally given back to me.

I lay with my head on his chest, drawing patterns on the bare skin. His breathing is steady, meaning he is asleep. I roll over, slipping on a tank top and a pair of boxer shorts before turning off the lights and falling asleep.

I'm awakened by soft moans coming from Tobias. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, and I sit up. He's shifting around, and covered in sweat, his bare torso glistening.

"Leave...Her." He groans. I shake his shoulder.

"Tobias, baby wake up." He moans again.

"Stop." His whole body is trembling. I shake him again. His eyes spring open and he shoots up, panting. I step back, giving him space for a minute.

"Tobias, it was just a dream." I say into his ear. He nods, the covers pooling in his lap. I kiss the base of neck, his breathing shuddering.

"Do you want to take a shower?" I whisper. he nods, getting up and heading to the bathroom, and hear the shower turn on. I sigh, knowing that neither of us will fall asleep.

When he's in the bathroom for more than 15 minutes, I go to investigate. Opening the door, there is no steam so I assume he's taking a cold shower. The water is clouding my vision, but I can tell just standing in there

"Tobias?" I say quietly. He doesn't make a sound. I sigh, pulling back the curtain so I can see his face, He's facing the wall. Just staring at it. I turn off the water before tossing him a towel. He wraps it around his waist. I run into the bedroom and return with boxers and sweatpants.

Leaving him in the bathroom to put those on, I make up the bed again. He comes out a few moments later and its down. I gently pull him down so his head is on my lap, stroking his hair. he stays silent, and so do I, but no words seem to be needed.

After a little while. I manage to get him to lay down. Before turning off the light, He whispers something into my ear.

"I love you."