twelve

XII. what I've found

 what I've found

━━━━━━━━

The night grew with a spectacular darkness, but the sky specked with stars and the glint of the moonlight, she'd never known darkness to be so beautiful.

It had been a breath of fresh air – metaphorically and literally. And it was nothing that nights stood upon Rafes balcony could ever compare to. When the cabin cruiser jumped along the choppy waves, tussles of light breezes blew past her. She felt like for the first time, in a long time, she could properly breathe again.

The boat had a small interior, with a long leather couch splayed along the left side. She found herself trying to rest while Rafe lead them to the cays, but she couldn't for long find herself contained inside once again.

The trip had not lasted more than three hours, and majority of those hours she lingered outside, watching the waves crash into each other. Or the glimmer of the stars that illuminated the otherwise dark seas.

She had to pinch herself a few times, or count the fingers on each of her hands, just to reassure herself this wasn't a dream. That she hadn't completely snapped, and this all wasn't just in her head.

When the sun had just begun to rise, and the pinks and oranges melded into the night. She watched in awe as the sun rays gave a gift of the warm light and colorful tinges. She decided in that moment, there was nothing more perfect than the sunrise. Because another day had come, and this time, she was okay.

As the distance had filled with brightness, she was finally able to make out the faintest specks of land ahead. Knowing they'd arrive soon she carried herself through the small interior of the boat to find Rafe sitting behind the gears, leading them speedily through the water.

"So. . ." She grinned tightly. "Whats the plan?"

He lifted his gaze from ahead, and set his eyes before her. ". . .Plan?" He hesitated before narrowing his eyes.

A small yet nervous chuckle left her lips in an instant. "You do have a plan, don't you?" The question was quiet and hoping if he'd noticed the slight nerves laced through her words he'd stop joking. Because how foolish it would be, to not have a plan.

Shrugging his shoulders lightly he let out a low scoff threaded with slight confusion. "Get Wheezie?"

Rubbing a hand over her forehead she scowled. "You really think your Dad would've just left this place unguarded?" She trailed off, waiting of the sudden realization to hit him, but it never did. "Rafe, they're gonna snitch us out to him!"

A soft laugh rumbled in the back of his throat. "Its a three hour trip, we'll be gone before we have anything to worry about." But as a silence set over them, he once again tore his eyes from the growing land, and met hers. "Relax. You're so jumpy."