six

VI. no turning back

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

She didn't sleep at all during the night.

She was exhausted, but not tired. Most of her time was spent silently crying while staring at the wall. Her mind had shut off and remained empty of thoughts. Everything she one worried about, or distracted herself with, didn't matter so much anymore.

Perhaps this had been his plan all along. Ward Cameron had finally succeeded in breaking her. She hoped he was happy. Because she was not.

She couldn't allow herself to think, because when she did her mind drifted off to Wheezie and what kind of repercussions the girl may be facing, all because she'd asked her for help. She hoped Ward could fully place the blame on her rather than his own daughter. But he seemed in no state to take anyones feelings in consideration.

It was around noon when a glint of daylight filled her cell. Rafe Cameron had been the one to unlock the door, yet she did not lift her gaze to acknowledge his presence. He waited silently for some snappy remark of what he wanted or why he was standing there. But it never came.

Clearing his throat lightly, he proceeded to place a bottle of water and a sandwich down on the ground beside her. The movement caught her attention, and her eyes slowly flickered to the side as he withdrew his hand from the glass plate it sat atop.

She hesitated before reaching out a shaky hand to pick up the plate. She held it close to her face for a moment before throwing it across the cell. The plate smashed into the concrete walls and with a sharp crunch it shattered. She wished she could have said it made her feel better even in the slightest.

Something in the back of her mind told her to laugh at the sudden wideness and shock present in his eyes, but the sound died in her throat. She pursed her lips as her eyes returned to the wall across from her. Pinned to the exact spot the plate as crashed against she blinked slowly.

Rafe's lips curved into a tight smile and he exhaled while crossing his arms across his chest. "Come with me." He suggested, and despite his tone being soft she wasn't sure if she had much of a choice. But still she'd sat there not moving, legs pulled closely against her chest as she still refused to look up at him.

He offered her a hand just like the day before, only this time she accepted it. Hesitantly her hand reached out and clasped his as she allowed him to hoist her up. She simply wasn't sure if she'd have been able to pull herself up on her own. She hadn't quite felt the full extent of the pain until she rose and it all rippled through her at once.

She winced harshly, placing her other hand against the wall for support. Large splotches of bruises had began forming on either side of her body from the top of her ribcage down to her hips.