nine

IX. life found in death

━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━

"Are you guys drunk!?"

The accusing tone that fired from Sarah prompted a fit of giggles to spill their way out of Valeries throat abruptly. In a matter of seconds she'd given them both up, unable to contain her body from flushing with humor. Rafe pressed a firm hand up to her mouth, hoping it was not too late. Her laughter though muffled, but still audible, only grew louder with his efforts to stop it. Eventually even a faint snicker could be detected from him as well.

But the bottle of vodka wedged in between them with a feeble attempt at hiding it was far too obvious, along with the color filling their cheeks from a notable intoxication. "How'd you guess?" Valerie asked, prying Rafe's hand far from her face.

Sarah crossed her arms over he chest, letting out a hefty deep breath, as their alcohol soaked brains searched for an explanation they had so obviously failed to detect, despite it being in plain sight.

"Well, it is the only time you two get along." She smiled tightly. Rafes hand reached out for the bottle no longer trying to hide their state of drunkess at merely half past two. But Sarah snatched the bottle out from his hand harshly before he could uncap it and bring it to his lips.

"Hey!" He groaned with irritation hammering through him, his gaze flickered to Valerie as his lips tugged up wards. "Such a buzz kill, isn't she?"

Another chuckle freed itself from Valeries lips before she could stop herself. A scowl became  prominent across the girls features as she tucked the bottle underneath one arm. "Guys! Dads gonna be pissed if he sees you two like this. Its–" She paused, her eyes quickly flickering to the clock. "Not even three yet, and the guests are going to arrive soon."

The realization washed over Valerie with a soft gasp. Her eyes quickly became entranced with the shimmery tinsel twisted around the tree and each entryway. The gleaming glow from the lights strung up had reflected in her eyes with excitement. Her stomach twisted with warmth as the holiday season washed over her wistfully.

"Relax." Rafe drawled lowly, pushing himself up off the couch. He clasped a hand on his sisters shoulder as he swayed lightly. "Some of us can handle our liquor, unlike you." She could smell the booze on his breath causing her to recoil slightly. She flinched herself free from his grip with a roll of her eyes. "Right, Val?" He snapped his head to the side, smirking down at the other girl still curled up on the couch.

She nodded enthusiastically, but trying to rise up off the sofa had ultimately proved her wrong. Her hand gripped around the arm but she could not find the strength to hold herself up for more than a short moment. She dropped back down overcome but yet another fit of giggles.