five

V. dream its over

 dream its over

━━━━━━━━

Hours spent in her cell had faded into days. Once again her concept of time blurred and she couldn't be sure how long had passed, or if it were day or night. But nobody came and she almost began to believe that no one would.

She clung onto her sanity but sometimes wondered if it was a waste of time. If she was going to rot and die here, the least she could do was make it less painful and unbearable by letting everything go. But she still held out hope, for Wheezie to come through for her. For someone to do something. The slim chance that she'd make it out of all this ok.

So she did everything she could to hold on. She began reciting the elements of the periodic table. She counted back from one thousand and thought of new math problems to solve in her head. When she wasn't working her mind she worked out. The cell was tight but spacious enough that she could do push ups or crunches.

And after hours spent shutting her mind off and pushing herself to new limits, she would tirelessly fall asleep, no longer fussing restlessly, her eyes would fall shut and take her into a peaceful sleep.

It was the only way she could distract herself from the icy fear gripping at her heart, that this was possibly it. That no one was coming and it was all over from here. That she would be bound to spend her remaining minutes locked away.

When the door finally did open, it was Rafe Cameron who came for her.

By the looks of it, night spilled into her cell and she was thankful she did not need to shield her eyes from a blistering sunlight. Yet her head still throbbed at the faint glow of moonlight, and the loud scraping of the door she'd not heard in days.

Her eyes squinted as she lifted her gaze to him. Her lips were curved in a slight frown but other than that her face remained void of any emotion. Her reflexes jumped as she was seconds away from missing the water bottle he tossed to her. But she snatched it from the air just in time.

She wrapped her hands around the plastic and popped off the cap. Skeptical, she sniffed its contents before confirming it was only water and then draining half the bottle. She shut off any natural instincts before she could thank him and kept quiet instead.

"Come on." He offered a hand for her to take, but she could only glare at it. Rolling his eyes he held it out further but instead she hoisted herself off the ground, the extra exercise doing her a favor as she steadied herself, but did not need to place a hand onto the wall for balance.

Shocked he had not resulted yet to putting his hands on her, she sent him a small smirk. His hand dropped and he gestured for her to follow as they exited the cell. Once the metal door clicked shut, he lead her down a narrow hallway and she was quite shocked when they turned up a flight of stairs.