two

Her mind was hazy when she finally woke, and it took her a few moments to recollect what just happened. But once it dawned on her where she was and what happened, the realization that it was not all been some odd, far fetched dream, did not settle well in her stomach.

The sunlight that once illuminated the room with soft warmness melted into darkness. And the large sitting room was only now lit by a dim moonlight seeping in through vast windows.

She strained her ears, trying to pick up any movement or even a slipped conversation happening in the distance. But it seemed as though the house was asleep and submerged in nighttime. 

Sitting on the ground, legs stretched out in front of her, the wall she leaned on seemed to be the only thing supporting her at the moment. The tips of her fingers and toes grew with numbness, but she could only really notice she was no longer restrained or locked away in the cell.

Her eyes flickered around, taking in the room for all it was worth this time. And without the distraction of Ward and Rafe, she was able think clearly. The entire situation wreaked of a trap, but regardless she knew it was better to move than to stay seated here all night.

Lifting herself up and off the ground proved to be a lot more difficult than she'd have imagined. Her limbs ached and her bones clicked back into place. Her hand found the wall for support as her legs wobbled. 

She slowly made her way along the wall to steady herself, allowing her eyes to wonder in search of an exit.

The moonlight reflected off the white marble floors almost illuminating a path for her to walk. She stole a few quick glances out the windows, trying to grasp any idea of her current location, but the white sand and choppy sea provided her with no answers.

She turned a corner to be lead down a small corridor, empty white walls forming it. It was a contrast to Ward Camerons home on Figure Eight island, walls lined with pictures and memories. There was so much life that filled the Camerons old home, but this one was the polar opposite and held no signs of life.

The house expanded the further she explored and was evident how large it really was. It reminded her a lot of the endless houses that lined the beaches back on the Outer Banks. And even though she was sure they had left, she wouldn't have expected anything less from Ward.

Valerie approached a pair of glass sliding doors and not a moment slipped away before her hand reached forward and latched around the door handle. She fidgeted with it quietly, but it did not budge. It was bolted with a lock, and she was positive would only come undone with a key.

Her hands were shaking when she unclasped them from the door handle, her mind bubbling with too many different emotions she was unable to distinguish even one of them. 

Peering out the door and finally examining what existed outside, she could easily see where the shore ended and the sea began. The island must have been relatively small, and a small house not too far in the distance, seemingly abandoned, was the only other building that inhabited it. 

She noticed a small dock, with three boats perched on either of the sides. And with that, all her questions were answered and all her worries subsided, because it was so simple. All she had to do was search the house for a set of keys and stow away on any of the boats before Rafe or Ward woke up.

A locked door was nothing more than a minimal roadblock which she could easily get around by smashing her way free from the house. Any of the windows were large enough, or even the glass door itself couldn't be a barrier between her and an escape. 

It wasn't a full proof plan, but as long as she moved quickly she was sure nothing could stop her.

She opened every draw and cabinet in the kitchen, rummaging through them. But each brief minute that passed was an ounce of hope she lost, because there were no signs of easy escape for miles. And even though she didn't want to entertain the thought, she wasn't sure if there was another way out of here.