Twenty-five

WITH A QUICK flick of my finger the bullets fall to the ground. I slam my hand down, bringing one helicopter down. It spins in a circle, angling toward the ground.

I begin to move away. "Jade! Hurry! We're coming to a curved bridge!" I yell, running past her. I run all the way to the last car, when no one is. I hesitate as I stop right at the edge of the car behind me.

        The tracks zoom under the train very quickly, indicating if I don't jump correctly I could die. I swallow hard as I take a deep breath.

1.

2.

On the count of three and I launch myself to other side. A scream leaves my lips as my leg wobbles on the ledge of the other car. I feel my whole body begin to slip downwards. My hands frantically search for something to hold to.

           "Oh no. Please no." I whimper, feeling air bite my ankles. My feet hover over the racing track beneath me. I latch on to the connection of the cars. I grunt with effort as I try to hoist myself over the connecting latch.

But with the lack of upper body strength, I only achieve making myself slip lower. A scream leaves my mouth as my toes scrape the ground. I snatch them back up, fighting against the pressure of the wind whipping around me.

             I start to swing myself steadily, trying to ignore the sound of screams and guns being fired. I manage to hook one leg over the latch. My whole body tenses around the latch. As I try to get my over leg up, something pulls me back.

     I crane my neck backwards, trying to see what's the problem. The train shudders again, making me almost lose my grip. The top handle of my backpack is stuck against one of wires of the last car.

"Come on! Come on!" I yell at it, trying to jiggle it out of the wire's hold. Angry tears fall down my face as I scream out in frustration. I start to stop fighting against it when an idea forms into my head.

                I look at the metal latch, blinking the tears away from my eyes. I scoot away from the middle, where the latch connects with the other car. I take a ragged breath in as I bring my fist down.

       The whole train stumbles against my power. The metal immediately gives in and breaks in half. The train keeps going forward, probably with Jade and other mutants.

The left over metal under my grip gives in not too long after. My whole body tumbles down. A scream tears it's way past my throat as my body thumps against the train tracks. I roll down the tracks. Each strip of metal hitting my body sharply.

            As I come to a stop, my eyes widen. I look up at the oncoming train car, the last one I had cut off. It keeps surging forward as if it were still connected to the rest of the train by a string.

Without hesitation I put my hands up, causing the train to smash into an invisible wall. It teeters to the side, leaning over the edge of the track. With a sickening feeling, I realize we're not on the hills anymore.

          I glance over my shoulder to the hectic train crossing the bridge.

We're on the bridge.

  Jade is in there with everyone else. I extend my hand to my left, abruptly stopping the train. The last car to my right groans as it starts to fall to the side.

Several screams sound from the last car. My hand flies from my side, stopping the last train car from falling over into the water. I groan, feeling as if my limbs were being torn apart. The weight of the trains slowly begin to suck the energy out of me.