Thirty-six

WE STALK THE quiet hallways once we are done getting ready. I hand Malcolm my bag, knowing he needs it for evidence. We pause in front of a hallway that forks off into two different paths. I try to rack my memory of the whole layout of the building.

"Left is the dormitories, right is everything else." Malcolm reminds me as if sensing my confusion. I nod quietly, taking a long breath in. "Who should I get first?" I whisper, although no one is around us.

Malcolm lifts my bag onto his shoulder. "Leah. She can cut off the communication, surveillance, lights, everything." I bob my head in understanding. "Got it. I suppose your dorms will be the nicer looking ones?" I ask with a lift of an eyebrow. Malcolm frowns at me. "What makes you say that?"

I give him a flat look. "Please, Davison favorites you and your sister more than any of us. You've been loyal to him more than any of us." I don't mean it as a jab, but Malcolm slightly flinches. I swallow hard, knowing it sounded low. "I didn't mean----"

"Just find my sister, Rosie." Malcolm cuts me off with his cold voice.

He turns away from me, heading down the hall we had come from. I sigh, shaking my head as I make my way to the left hall. My eyes trail up toward the walls, scourging for any cameras. As I near the dormitory doors, I notice more red lights blinking in the dark.

I press my back again a wall, contemplating if I should move the cameras away from me. But I quickly remind myself that that will alert whoever is on the other side of the lens. I edge closer to a door, my hands pressing against the wall.

As I make myself around it, I realize the door is wooden. Unlike the other metallic dorm doors that are locked from keeping everyone in. I turn around, blinking down at the simple handle. My hand wraps around it, pushing it down. The door doesn't make a sound to my surprise.

I take a quiet step inside, letting the door close behind me. My eyes widen as I try to adjust my vision in the dark. I can make out the silhouette of a bed to my right, and another one parallel to it. I take a tentative step closer, not sure if I'm seeing strange things.

"So you came back after all." Says a snide British voice to my left.

I jump back from the sudden noise, almost bumping into the door. A light clicks on, flooding the room with a dim yellow light. I blink rapidly as my eyes adjust to the sudden brightness. My eyes scan the whole dorm. I come to the realization that I was right. Davison does seem to have favorites among his followers.

There are two twin sized beds on each side. The small space between them leads to a walk in closet. A multiple cabinet storage table stands beside the wall in closet. My eyes trail to the bed, landing on the source of the voice.

"Leah." My voice floods with relief.

Malcolm's sister doesn't seem to have changed one ounce. Her sharp blue eyes stare at me with annoyance as she sits up from her bed. Her raven black hair is tied back neatly into a plain braid. Her elegant cheekbones seem to pop out as she purses her lips.

Her skin is still pale as I remember. Her icy eyes stare at me without emotion, reminding me of how old she looks despite her young age. But her beauty confuses me the most, how can someone look so good after waking up? "You don't seem too happy to see me." I remark, walking over to side on the bed opposite of her. As I sink into the soft mattress, I come to realize it's Malcolm's bed.

I almost jump away from it.

"Of course I am, Rosie. But being awaken by your loud and confusing thoughts is like a blow horn to my brain." She snaps, throwing the blankets off of her as she swings her legs over the edge of her bed. My eyes widen.