Nineteen

IT IS WHEN we go back that everything starts to go downhill. As we get to the bottom of the stairs, Malcolm's light hand on my back stiffens. Harold stands right behind the door we pull open. His face is tinted with red.

    "What is this?" He explodes, gesturing to me and Malcolm. I open my mouth to make up some lie but Malcolm speaks over me. "We just left to get some breakfast. What's wrong, boss?" Malcolm asks. Harold frowns.

             "You can't just leave as you please. May I remind you that miss Dehli is wanted by the police." He says, his eyes lingering on me a second too long. Malcolm takes a step forward, pressing his chest to my back. Harold eyes him and then me.

      "I won't do it again." I say. Harold waves my promise away and motions me over to him with a jerk of his head. I swallow hard. I force myself not to look at Malcolm. I take a step forward but Malcolm's hand fists my shirt, holding me back.

"What do you need her for?" Malcolm asks, keeping his face emotionless. But now I know he doesn't mean it. Harold sends him a warning look. "She is a student in my training program. What do you think I'm going to do?" Harold challenges.

         Malcolm blinks out of sight, his footsteps echoing down the hall. Harold huffs. "I hate when he does that." He mutters as he walks down the same hall as Malcolm did. I follow Harold without a word, trying to think out of the situation.

A girl passes the hall, she eyes Harold and me.

Slut, she mouths.

        She looks away as Harold catches her stare. She holds her head high as she walks by us. My eyes widen as my hand goes up to the hickey Harold gave me yesterday. I pull Malcolm's tee up to cover the bruise.

I keep my eyes on the ground, trying not to let the girl's comment push me away.

         I focus on Malcolm. After we are peacefully, we walked around until we found the same alley where the police first found me. Malcolm looked down at me with pride.

"This is where you power birthed." He had said, sliding an arm around my shoulders.

The door bangs open, causing my thoughts to dissolve. I follow Harold through the doors and into his office. We pass the receptionist and some security officers. The receptionist leans into the security guard's ear and whispers something to him. He shrugs, eyeing me with caution.

                    I roll my eyes as I close the door behind me. Harold takes a seat into his cushy chair. I walk up to his desk, placing my palms on his desk. "What do you need?" I ask, trying not to seem uncomfortable. Harold licks his lips, dragging his tongue over his upper lip.

       I swallow hard as I straighten. Harold leans back into his chair. His eyes trail down to my neck, and I suddenly feel so exposed. I try not to cover every inch of exposed skin. "Sorry for that." He says, nodding at my neck.

My heart speeds. "Its fine." I whisper.

            Harold swiftly stands, walking around his desk in smooth movements. I don't take a step back. I'm not some weak girl. This is the man who is trying to do things to all of us. I will not back down.

He doesn't stop walking until he stands right in front of me. His hands leave his side's and touch my hips. Harold tugs me closer, my torso touching his. My eyes dart to the closed door.

This is not good.

       I keep my hands at my sides, not wanting to show him any affection that doesn't exist. "Why haven't you talked to me since the ball?" He asks. I try to seem jealous. "Last time I checked you were sucking another girl's face." I say, deadpan.