Twenty-One

I JERK AWAKE as a bag smacks against my head. I tumble off the couch, landing on the ground with a loud groan. I push myself with my elbows, squinting up at the person standing over me.

"We need to move. It's a couple hours past dawn, there's still time to move." She says, dropping my bag in front of me. I blink slowly, rubbing my eyes. I force myself up on my elbows. The whole room is dark, the only light is provided from the thin windows that are opened.

           Silvery rays of light projects the whole room into a gloomy look. Everyone is gone, except for Jade and Mali, who is currently watching me. The neon lights are obviously gone, so is the music. Everything is so quiet, so still. As the moonlight projects the walls, I notice more graffiti painted along the cracked walls of the main room.

I look up above me, wondering what type of building this was before it became old and forgotten. Jade walks away from me, her tank top hidden under a big flannel shirt. Her bare feet are now covered with boots, softening her steps. Her hair is tied back in a braid, the tips brushing against her bottom.

                  My eyes trail back to Mali. He nods toward the back doors. "C'mon. I'll show you to the washroom." He says. I sit up, yanking my bag off the floor and rising to my feet. I arch my back, stretching my arms high in the air.

     A weird cry escapes my lips as I finish stretching. I find Mali staring at me with this unsure look crossing his face. I squint at him. "What?"

Mali shrugs. "You're beautiful," he answers bluntly, "in a strange way." I feel my face grow hot as I look away. I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear, hastily walking away from him. "Um. The washroom?" I say. Mali nods, walking towards the back doors. Only then I notice he's wearing a black long sleeve fitted tee with black jeans.

             His shoes are a dark red color. His dreads are pulled back in a single ribbon, leaving his handsome face exposed. I realize his bottom lip is pierced at the center. His cat eyes snap at mine, lifting a brow. I look away, pulling the door open.

I slip through not bothering to hold it open for Mali. He somehow slips through the crack. He walks ahead of me, pushing another set of doors. I glance at the hallway to my right before entering the room. He gestures all around.

"There are showers, bathrooms, and sinks here. Please do whatever you can in five minutes. Do you know your way back?" He asks. I nod, offering him a small smile. He returns it, quickly slipping out of the doors. I walk around the locker room, glancing at the opened showers.

                  I finally find a bathroom, which I quickly use in gratitude. I walk over to the rows of sinks. I wash my hands and then wash my face. I pull my hair into a tight ponytail, pulling my hoodie over my head. I slip out of Malcolm's sweatpants.

    My fingers curl around the fabric. I hesitate. Malcolm just betrayed me. I hurl the pants away, leaving in it the trashcan. I slip on my comfy yoga pants and tug my feet into my Converse. I glance at the mirror.

I look nothing like girl I stared at in the school mirror. That memory feels like a century ago. Such a different time. I clear my throat as I shift my backpack on. I leave the locker room, walking straight until I find the set of doors that lead to the main room.

           No one is here. "Jade?" I call out, glancing around. I keep walking until I push open the door to outside. I suck in a breath as cool air sweeps over me. I find Jade speaking to Mali in the corner of the building.

Mali stops talking as he notices me. He flicks his cigarette on the ground, smashing it with his foot. Jade straightens as well, nodding at me. "Let's go." She says. Mali nods, turning away and walking.