Chapter Six - Getaway Driver

Start from the beginning

Regina kept her eyes on Emma as she took a sip of her orange juice, studying the blonde. Emma felt Regina staring at her but ignored it and went to take another bite of her breakfast.

After they finished eating, Henry swung his backpack over one shoulder and he and Emma headed out the door.

"You know, Mom. I am old enough to walk to school alone, but I'd never turn down extra time with you so I'm glad you're here with me." Henry smiled and Emma rubbed his shoulder then gave him a hug goodbye as they made it to the entrance of the school.

As much as Emma knew she should go back home and change then spend the day with her parents or with Hook on her day off, she found herself walking back in the direction of Regina's home.

She didn't knock before she pushed the door open.

"Emma, you're back? I figured you'd be headed home after you dropped Henry off... perhaps to shower since you don't smell too great." Regina teased and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh." Emma's face fell as she realized she wasn't welcome. "Sorry about that..." She started backing up and Regina immediately reached out and grabbed her arm.

"I was kidding, dear. You're more than welcome to stay here. Come in."

Emma smiled and she rocked back and forth on her heels in the foyer of the house. Regina noticed the immediate lift in her mood and couldn't help but smile at the blonde.

"You know what? Do you mind if I just use your shower? I'll be quick, I promise!"

As soon as Emma asked to use her shower, Regina was almost positive that something was wrong with Emma. But she didn't want to pressure Emma and knew that would just result in her putting up her walls and leaving. Instead, she just nodded in approval and Emma shuffled up the stairs.

Emma pushed open the door to Regina's bedroom and realized she had never actually been in here. She'd only been in Henry's room and the guest room once or twice. She admired the fact that Regina's bed was perfectly made and everything in the room was tidy and in place. Although, she should have expected nothing short of perfection from the brunette who always had a knack for order and cleanliness. Everything about Regina was tidy, so it wasn't surprising that her room was the same way.

She look a few extra minutes lathering her body in Regina's body wash, breathing in the sweet scent. When she got out of the shower, she wrapped herself in a fluffy towel and walked back into the bedroom.

She frowned when she looked at her dirty clothes in a pile on the floor. She found the door to Regina's walk-in closet and rummaged through her clothes in attempt to find a normal shirt among the many business blouses, pencil skirts and pant suits.

When she finally found a more casual blouse, she threw it on and buttoned up the buttons. Then she grabbed a pair of jeans that she had never seen Regina wear before and slid them on, one leg at a time.

As she was blow drying her hair in the bathroom, Regina strolled in and eyed her up and down. "I see you had no problem locating my closet, Miss Swan."

"Uh - yeah... sorry." Emma shrugged and Regina laughed at her.

"So, are you going to tell me the real reason why you came here to shower instead of going home and showering there?" Regina quizzed, raising her eyebrow again.

Emma let out a nervous laugh. "I wouldn't have even showered if you hadn't said something to me about smelling! I came here to see you, that's all..."

Although Regina didn't buy her excuse for a second, she didn't want to push it further. Instead she smiled and nodded.

"You know, I actually like seeing you in my clothes. It reminds me of the old days when you stole my shirt," Regina said, not realizing she sounded so flirtatious until the words left her mouth.

"Well, sorry, your majesty, but you're never getting this shirt back because it looks wayyy too good on me." Emma said with a wink and Regina swallowed, unable to deny it. She tried her best to not let her gaze wander over the way her blouse clung to Emma's strong body in all the right places.

Emma smirked, knowing what effect she was having on Regina without having to say anything. But she also knew she didn't want to do anything to jeopardize their friendship so she changed the subject. "Do you have a lot of work to do today?"

Regina bit her lip and looked up in thought. "Hmm... not too much. Why?"

"I was thinking I could tag along and spend more time with you at your office and then maybe grab lunch?" Emma said, trailing it off to make it clear that it was a question.

Regina was surprised that Emma was asking for permission to do anything, it certainly wasn't like her. She figured that Emma wanting to spend more alone time with her meant that she wanted to talk about something that was going on and actually open up to her. She smiled and nodded then they both headed out the door and climbed into Regina's Mercedes.

When they arrived at the mayor's office, Regina got right to her paperwork and Emma suggested she run out and grab them coffee.

"That would be incredible. Thanks, Emma. You know how I like it right?"

"Yes, of course. Be right back!"

She returned with two to-go cups. She handed one to Regina and the woman smiled and thanked her.

"Anything for you," Emma grinned.

"So, Emma. Tell me more about what's going on."

"What do you mean?"

"I know something is off with you and it's not just because you miss Henry. Every time I mention Hook, your face falls and I know nobody else notices it, but I do. I want you to trust me and tell me what's going on."

"Regina, I really don't know what you're talking about. There's nothing going on with Hook and me. We are fine."

"Okay, so tell me then. When was the last time you were happy when you were home with him?"

"Home?" Emma asked and her face fell as the sound of the word echoed in her head.

"Yes, Emma. Your house with Hook."

"You really need to stop asking so many questions, it's getting annoying. I told you we are fine so why don't you just drop it?"

"Because. I am trying to help you. You might not always see it, but I care about you and want you to be happy."

"Well right now, the only person who isn't making me happy is you!" Emma yelled and stormed out of the office.

Regina sighed and tried her best to return to her work.

---------------------

When Regina opened the door to her house after work, she took in the sight of Emma sitting on the couch watching a movie with Henry.

"Oh, Emma. You're back?"

Emma just nodded and kept her eyes on the television. "Yeah, I wanted to spend more time with Henry." She said, sure of her words. "Wait. What time is it?" She jumped up and looked at the clock. "Shit! I told Hook I'd be home for dinner! I have to go. I'll see you both later!" She sprinted out the door without even giving Henry a hug goodbye and Regina's gaze fell to the floor as Henry shrugged.