Chapter 22

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

The next day Gina and I headed to the beach to kick off our girls’ weekend.  It had not been a good start for me, as Gina had burst into my room a little after noon to wake me up, claiming I was wasting the day away.  I hadn’t cared as I hadn’t gotten home from the party until around four in the morning.  I told Gina to go to the beach without me, but that wasn’t going to fly.  She proceeded to sit on me, digging her bony ass into my back until I convinced her I was awake and not going back to sleep.

The drive to the beach took longer than expected; it seemed everyone and their mother wanted to dip their toes into the cool Californian waters today.  As we sat in endless traffic with the windows rolled all the way down and the radio at a speaker-blowing volume, Gina had taken the opportunity to call her friend Lauren.  I didn’t mind.  Not only was I still unbelievably sleepy and didn’t feel like talking, but her distraction gave me a chance to dwell more on the thoughts bouncing around in my head.  Specifically, those of last night.

“Thanks for the ride, Ricky,” I said as I climbed out of his car.  “I’ll see you guys later.”

I started towards the door of my apartment building when I heard the slam of a car door behind me.  I turned around as Connor came over to my side.

“You didn’t have to get out of the car,” I said, confused as to what he was doing.  “It’s literally like three steps away from the building.  I’m not going to get kidnapped or anything.”

“Oh, I know,” Connor said, nodding.  Now I was really confused.  “I just wanted to make sure you were okay without anyone listening in.”

I leaned close to his ear and dropped my voice.  “You know Ricky’s got the windows open, right?”

I smirked to myself as Connor whipped around towards his friend and pointed his finger upwards, signaling for Ricky to quit eavesdropping.  Ricky stuck his tongue out as he did what he was told.  I headed up the three concrete steps that lead to the main entrance.  Connor followed me after flipping off Ricky.

“So are you okay?”  He asked, his voice teeming with a mix of concern and hesitation.  “You were really quiet in the car.”

“I’m fine,” I lied easily.  “Just tired.  It’s been a crazy day, you know?”

“Yeah,” Connor said, giving me a scrutinizing look.  “Well, I just wanted to check.”

I gave him a small smile.  “Thanks.  I appreciate it.”

“No problem.”  Connor swiftly pulled me into a tight hug, holding me close against his body.  I wrapped my arms around his waist and dropped my head onto his shoulder, wishing with all my might that time would freeze and we could stay like this forever.  I felt so comfortable, so natural, so safe in Connor’s arms as if he had been made just to hold me like this.

Connor gave me a quick peck on the cheek as he let go.  “Just know that you can tell me anything,” he said, looking into my eyes with such intensity and sincerity I felt I would wither away under his gaze.  “I’m here for you.”

He turned and jogged down the steps, back to Ricky’s car.

“Connor!”  I called, stopping him dead in his tracks and causing him to face me again.  Something flashed across his face, but it lingered ever so briefly that I couldn’t figure out what it was.  “I—”

I what?  I wanted to tell him what?  A lot, actually.  That I was sorry about Jesse.  That I hated him and Paige together.  That I supported him and Paige.  That I wanted him to be happy.  That I wanted him to be happy with me.  That I wanted him.