Chapter 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Jesse stood in front of me, the same as I remembered him from two years ago.  Had it really been that long since we had last seen each other, last spoke, last kissed?  Staring at him, it was as if I was back in high school, back with the boy who had been my first love.  My heart hammered in my chest, threatening to burst free any moment.

“It’s so good to see you again,” Jesse said, still displaying the smile that many told him was model-worthy.  “You look great.”

My voice temporarily caught in my throat.  I struggled to form a coherent sentence.  Or even a full thought for that matter.  What was wrong with me?  “Oh, thanks,” I managed to get out.  “Uh, you too.”

It wasn’t a lie, and by the confident air about him, Jesse knew it.  He glanced back at the two guys—both as good-looking as him—he had with him, the three of them sharing some kind of silent communication.  Behind me, Connor cleared his throat.

“Oh!”  I said, snapping back to reality.  “Jesse, this is my friend Connor.  Connor…”  My voice trailed off, knowing Jesse needed no further introduction.  As Connor stood to shake hands with Jesse, I thought I saw something dark flash in his eyes, but it was gone so suddenly I may have imagined it.

“This is Matt and Derek,” Jesse said, nodding towards his friends.  Without missing a beat, Jesse turned back to me.  “So how have you been, Allison?  What are you doing out in California?”

“I’m staying with Veronica for the summer,” I explained.  “What about you?  I thought you would’ve gone back to Baltimore.”

“I did for a bit,” he said.  “Visited the family.  But I’m staying at the frat house now.”

“Hey, Jess, we’ve got to go,” Derek said gruffly, jabbing behind him with his thumb.

“Oh, right.”  Jesse nodded.  “Look, Allison, I think we should get together sometime while you’re still here.  I’d love to catch up with you.  You still have my number, right?”

“Of course,” I answered.  Jesse’s blue eyes twinkled and I felt myself turning to putty in his hands.  This shouldn’t be happening.  Why did he still have such an effect on me?  It was over—we both knew that.  It had ended two years ago, as it should have.  I had moved on, I was over him, I liked Connor—

Connor.

That single thought resonated within my head, erasing all thoughts of Jesse.  He had once had that paralyzing effect on me, but no more.  I couldn’t afford to go back down that road.

“Yeah, we’ll have to see,” I said, shifting my weight, trying to ignore the uncomfortable feeling that had come over me.  I rubbed my arm, fighting to keep myself calm so I could get rid of Jesse.  “Actually, Jesse—”

“There’s a party,” Connor cut in.  I whipped my head around to look at him, but he refused to meet my eye.  “This Friday, down on the beach.  Anyone’s invited.  I can have Allison send you the exact address.  I don’t know it off the top of my head.”

When Connor had first started speaking, Jesse looked slightly annoyed but after hearing his offer, Jesse’s expression softened.  “Thanks, man.  That’d be great.”

“Yeah, no problem,” Connor mumbled, slouching in his seat.

Jesse turned back to me, acting as though no one else was there.  “Allison, I’ll see you on Friday.”  He kissed me on the cheek again before turning and leaving with his pals.  As they walked away, I saw Jesse fist bump Derek.