Chapter 20

CHAPTER TWENTY

When we arrived, the party was already in full swing.  Teenagers filled the beach, all of them laughing, talking, and dancing to the music coming from the speakers on the back porch of Alexa’s house.  After parking on the side with the other cars, the ten of us piled out onto the beach and headed around to the back.  Almost immediately, Shawn waved at someone he knew.

“See you later,” Gina said to me as the two of them left to go socialize.  Kian, Andrea, and Sam disappeared next, going off to meet up with some friends.  Half our group gone, the remaining five of us decided to look for Alexa.  We hadn’t traveled more the three feet from the cars when our path was blocked by a petite blonde with a huge smile on her face.

“Hi guys!”  Jenn beamed at us.

“Hey Jenn!”  We chorused back.

“Trevor, I’m so glad I found you.  You’ve got to meet my friend Missy,” Jenn said to him.  “She’s sixteen, super cute—”

Trevor groaned.  “Jenn, how many times have I told you?  I don’t need your help getting a girlfriend.  I’m not letting you set me up again.”

“Too bad.”  Jenn shrugged.  “Ricky, grab his other arm.”

Ricky did as he was told and the pair of them dragged a screaming and struggling Trevor into the crowd.

“And then there were three,” Jc said, turning to me and Connor.

“That was fast,” I commented.

“Come on, let’s go find Alexa,” Connor suggested.  “She’ll want to know we’re here.”

The three of us set off, stopping frequently so that Connor and Jc could catch up with their friends.  I was introduced to so many people in such a short amount of time that their names and faces began to blend together in a chaotic jumble.  Just before I thought my head was going to explode, we made it to Alexa.

“Hey Alexa!”  Jc said as we approached.

“Connor!  Jc!” Alexa hugged them both in turn.  “I’m so glad you guys could make it!”

“Alexa, this is our friend Allison,” Connor said, gesturing to me.  I was just going to smile and wave, but Alexa surprised me with a hug.  It caught me off guard; I still wasn’t used to the friendliness of Californians.

“Is it just you three?”  Alexa asked, turning back to the boys.

“No, we brought everyone,” Jc answered.  “The others are around here somewhere.  I just don’t know where.”

“Oh well.  I’m sure I’ll see them at some point,” she said dismissively.  “Anyways, help yourselves to food, drinks, whatever.  Bathrooms are inside and to the left, and bedrooms are off-limits.”

The boys laughed as Alexa went off to greet newcomers.  I couldn’t help but wonder if the bedroom thing was Alexa’s idea of a joke or if there was a reason behind the necessity of that rule.

“Connor!”

The three of us turned and saw a pretty brunette waving energetically at him.  Connor’s entire face lit up and the girl skipped over, practically tackling him in a tight embrace.

“Oh no,” Jc muttered.  I was pretty sure I was the only one that heard him.

“I haven’t seen you in forever!”  The girl gushed.  “How have you been?”

“Great!”  Connor replied brightly.  The two of them were going on as if Jc and I had melted into oblivion.  I glanced over at him and he just raised his eyebrows at me as Connor continued speaking.  “What about you?”