Chapter 6

"Mam, you came!"

Jade engulfed Norma in a hug as she met her at the entrance of London Heathrow Airport. It was 3am. 24 hours since she'd left Manly.

"Of course, darling... I knew you'd follow her home. I've known for years..." Norma smiled, placing her hand on her daughter's back, pulling along the small cabin sized case with the other, guiding them out of the airport and to the car.

She'd driven down from South Shields to collect Jade, ready to drive straight back up. The usual seven-hour drive would cut down to only 4 hours thanks to it being the middle of the night. Once on the motorway Norma looked over at Jade, smile wider than a Cheshire cat.

"Okay, beautiful daughter of mine. What's the plan?"

Jade chuckled at her mother's excitement, shaking her curls slightly before sighing softly.

"Well, Mother. I was hoping you could maybe talk to Debs? See where Perrie is for me? I want this to be a surprise for her..."

"Already ahead of you, Pickle. Perrie spoke to Debs before she boarded the flight. By this point you'd rang me. Debs rang me just after I finished talking to you. Perrie's at her house in Shields. Debs said she was going to stay there with Perrie for tonight when she got home because Perrie was in a state before the flight... It took all of Jesy and Leigh-Anne's strength to get her onto the plane home..."

Jade sighed and shook her head, wondering if she should call Perrie, try to console her. She fiddled with her hands, her legs restless too. Her mother placed a steady hand on her knee, calming her.

"Jeed... Stop worrying. You are here, aren't you? Perrie is sleeping, she loves you, she'll be there when we get back."

***

It was 7am. They'd just pulled up along the private drive to Perrie's home. Jade rubbed the tiredness from her eyes as her body clock worked overtime, trying to cope with the strenuous task of staying awake to see her blonde, cerulean-eyed beauty. Norma leant over and punched in the code, the gates opening. The car slowly rolled along the gravel, continuing round the circular driveway, pulling up outside the garage. Jade was out of the car in seconds and into Debbie's arms as she stood at the door.

"I've shut the dogs out back – she's sleeping. Why don't you go up, petal? I'm going to stick the kettle on for your mother and I..." Debbie suggested with thought and precision – as if she'd already played it out in her head.

Jade simply thanked her and began the slow climb up the two flights of stairs, standing with her hand on the door handle to Perrie's bedroom.

She turned the silver knob cautiously, not wanting to wake her sleeping beauty. She let out a breath she wasn't aware that she'd been holding back before pushing the door lightly, entering the dark bedroom. A plush, nude lip caught between pristine white teeth and breath hitched as soft snores captivated her eardrums.

Perrie led on her back sound asleep, the purple brushed cotton sheets caught and tangled amongst her pale but tanned legs. Her shorts were bunched up on her hip bones, Jade's oversized pinstriped shirt bunched in one of her hands. Jade took note of the swelling round the closed eyes that she loved so much, dark circles swallowing them with sadness. Perrie's lips were bitten up, parted slightly to breath.

She tiptoed carefully to the bed and pulled the sheets back, climbing in. She moved Perrie into her, becoming her big spoon without question. She gently placed her hands over Perrie's stomach, one hand sliding effortlessly under the shirt, fingertips memorising her smooth scar. She froze as Perrie sighed, hands cupping hers.