Chapter Thirty: Time's Winding Down

I know it's been so long, and I apologize for all of that. It's been basically a year since I've last uploaded. I don't really know or have an excuse. I have the word document open, and I tried to write, I really have, but I've been feeling so drained, so at lost lately. I don't feel the same and I don't know why. I want to finish this book, for my fans that are loyal, because you all matter to me, and I appreciate your support so much. Please, let me know what you think of this, and I hope that I can get this finished for you guys soon. Until then, I don't think I will work on some work for a little while.

I have added a recap of the last chapter, so I hope that puts you back in the grove of the story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recap:

Before Parker could answer, the waiter came back and set their food between them. He asked if either of them needed anything else and they said no, hoping he would leave sooner.

They took the first couple bites. Parker was mulling over his thoughts, and Natalie couldn’t stop thinking about her questions.

                “Parker?” Natalie asked again, trying to get the answer.

                “It’ll have to work.” Parker looked up with a small smile. “That’s all we have.”

                “Let’s hope.”

                “Natalie, please, don’t underestimate my ultimate plan.”

                “This isn’t so special.”

                “Everything involving you is special.”

                “You only say that.”

                “No….it’s just true. I love you Natalie.”

                “I love you too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Thirty: Time's Winding Down

Although it seemed like it was only yesterday, they were starting their first day of high school, they were actually starting the last week of high school for all the seniors. Sleep hasn’t been on Natalie’s priorities, since most of the night she spent it awake, starting at the ceiling and wondering what was going to happen. Parker has been determined to make things work out.

Her nightmares took her as a prisoner, grasping for breath when she woke up after them. She was trapped within that scene, everything that could go wrong did, and through the end of it, she just wanted to die. She woke up from them- crying and screaming on her own, and wishing for her death. It never got any easier.

However, each night, as each nightmare woke her up, she wondered if that was going to be possible.

Cole would sometimes send members to come to her house- training as he called it. She struggled to keep away in her studies at school.

Before she knew it, time was winding down, and they were at their last week of high school. She was going to be graduating soon, and soon, Parker and she would be separated.

Could she do it? Could she get herself out of there?

What would happen if she couldn’t?

What if she died?

What would Parker do?

How could she stand being away from him?

They just finally got together.

It was the last week, and her eyes were still bloodshot, and the tear stains were still laced in her cheeks.

The pain and anguish she felt about leaving, about her nightmares of dying, keep Parker away from spending the night. She held his hand during school, sat with him at lunch, went to the soccer banquet with him. Everything was okay, and it was heartbreaking even more. But once the façade was over at school, she would get in her truck and leave, due to the pain she felt. Parker could never get through to her.

***

It was Wednesday night, she was lying inside her bed when she heard her house door unlock. She figured, another examination, and pulled out her gun that was under her mattress. She waited for her bedroom door to open to find someone with a masked face and knife. She lunged out of bed, feeling adrenaline pump through her veins, even though she was exhausted, and fought with the man. She used her gun, not to kill, but jammed the butt into his neck, and pushed him against the wall to knee him in his private parts. He went down with a groan, but he didn’t leave Natalie untouched.

His knife took a trail down her exposed thigh as he feel to his knees. She took the gun, despite the hiss of pain, and wacked him across the head, feeling emotionally drained. He toppled over to the side, and was knocked out cold. There was a knock on her door, like there usually is, of Cole and another man to pick up the ‘mock attacker.’

                “Why didn’t you shoot?” Cole asked Natalie, frustrated that she didn’t use her gun effective to its purpose.

                “It’s not necessary to kill someone, if they don’t need to die.”

                “He injured you. I expect that fixed. I called Parker, he should be here soon.”

                “You have not right-”

                “Natalie, you’re a smart girl. Calm your ego a bit, and let that boy be here for you.” Cole put his hand on her shoulder and looked her straight in the eyes, “I know you want to keep distance because you’re afraid to lose him, but it’s important to leave someone close. I don’t want to lose you- mentally. Let him care for you.”

Cole left shortly after that, and she know that having Parker here would be a mistake.

Parker came into the house, it was unlocked, but Natalie knew that he had a key. She was in the bathroom, trying to clean her wound when he walked in. He was silent, a blank face bestowed on him, that made her feel even worse. He was doing so much for her, trying to at least, and she was ignoring him, because she’s afraid.

He took the cotton swab from her, and started to rub Neosporin onto her wound. He placed a couple of bandages onto her thigh, since it was a long cut, and one wouldn’t cover it.

He walked out of the bathroom, and started to walk down the stairs, as if he was going to leave.

                “Are you leaving?” Natalie finally spoke up.

He stopped halfway, and turned around, “Do you want me to?”

                “No,” Natalie whispered. She started to walk down the stairs to meet him, even though her leg was throbbing. “I want you to stay.”

                “You’ve wanted nothing to do with me, Natalie for the past week.”

                “I just I-”

                “I care about you so much, and it hurts to be away from you. To feel you push me away, how you force yourself to act like a couple for the whole school. Did you change your mind? Do you not care about me anymore?”

                “Of course I care about you, Parker! I care about you so much. I don’t want to lose you, and I’m scared Parker. I’m so scared.” Natalie, so strong before, felt tears fill in her eyes.

                Parker looked spent- of emotion, of energy, at loss of what to say or do. “I’m scared too Natalie. But we are going to get through this together.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT VOTE FAN LIBRARY TWEET PIN

RachelleRay* :)