17

**At therapist**
Emmie's P.O.V

Hell.

Is that what this is?

Honestly, they basically locked me in a room with a complete stranger, and expect me to talk to them about my 'feelings'.

You've got to be kidding me.

Stef and Lena asked Callie and Brandon to pick me up, since they probably didn't want to deal with me.

Serves them right.

I don't want to see them either.

I stare at the blue wall, completely ignoring the lady that keeps pestering answers out of me, failing with every question.

Isn't blue supposed to be calming?

"Emmie," She says.

Her voice is faint, but it snaps me out of my gaze.

The minute I glance at her, her face lights up with hope.

Shit.

"Can you tell me what you see here?"

She holds up a black ink spotted image.

I flinch, tensing up.

Knife.

Why the hell is she holding up a picture of a knife?

I look down at my hands.

I've been clenching them in a fist so tight, my nails have dug into my palm and drawn blood.

"Relax," She hums. "It's alright. You're safe."

I squint my eyes.

"Safe?" I scoff, leaning closer. "I'm not safe. I'll never be safe." I feel my eyes burning as I let it those words.

She's probably heard them a million times.

No.

I will not cry.

I will not.

Not now, not ever, never again.

I open the door and dash out, hiding myself in a bathroom stall until my session is done, and I stay there until I get a text from Brandon saying they're here.

I don't say Hi, I just get in the car, wrap my hands around my knees and bury my head.

His face keeps appearing into my mind.

A permanent tattoo stuck to the back of my eyelids.

All I can see.

Why can't I just disappear?

Brandon

We drive home in silence, glancing at the back seat every now and then to study her mood changes.

Jesus, she's a lot like Callie.

"Mama," I whisper once we're at home, pulling her into another room.

"Yeah?" She asks, studying my face.

"Have you ever seen Emmie cry, like, since she's been living with us?"

Her face goes blank as she scans her memory. "No, I don't think so...?"

"And remember when she woke up screaming? She didn't even cry. Not even when she was attacked."

Her face goes blank again.

"Um, Mama. I need to tell you something." I say nervously, her eyes widening. "But you can't tell mom..."