Chapter One - Cold Little Heart

Did you ever notice, I've been ashamed? All my life I've been playing games. We can try to hide it, it's all the same. Bleeding, I'm bleeding. My cold little heart.

-------------------------------

Emma glanced at the time on her wrist as she ran out of the sheriff station, sprinting toward her yellow Volkswagen Bug. She promised her mom she'd meet her at 5:30, but Snow and Regina should know by now that she's always late for everything.

As she tugged on the door handle and the bar door swung open, she was greeted with two familiar grins from both women.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry... I'm 20 minutes late. I lost track of time," Emma apologized.

"Hey, you made it here and that's all that matters!" Snow said as she leaned in and hugged her daughter.

Regina reached out and handed Emma a full glass of wine. "Happy hour ends soon so I ordered your drink. Shall we sit?"

Emma nodded and let Regina guide them to a table near the end of the bar.

"So come on, Emma, spill! I want to hear all about what it's like living with Killian. You must be so happy! I'm so glad you finally found your happy ending and can have what I have with your father!" Snow was already talking Emma's ear off and all Emma could do was smile.

Regina took a sip of her Cabernet and eyed Emma up and down, searching for a reaction.

Emma smiled at her mother and began to answer, "Oh, yeah, it's great. It's so nice to have him around all the time and he treats me so well. I really couldn't ask for more. I never even knew I could be this happy."

Snow leaned over and wrapped an arm around her daughter, pulling her closer. Regina thought for a moment that Snow was going to explode from happiness. "Oh, Emma! You found your true love and your father and I both approve of you and Hook. Perhaps we'll hear wedding bells soon?" She almost sang the last sentence.

Emma just shrugged as she leaned away from Snow's embrace. "Yeah, maybe someday soon."

A pit formed in Regina's stomach after hearing the words escape Emma's lips, but she couldn't put her finger on what was causing it. She just kept her eyes locked on Emma, who swallowed another gulp of her wine.

"I'm happy for you Emma, I really am," was all Regina could say as she tried her hardest to curl her lips into a small smile.

"Thanks," Emma stated flatly. After a few awkward seconds of silence, Emma rose her voice to speak. "Shall we order another round?"

-----------------------------------

"Hook?" Emma called out as she closed the front door behind her. When she's met with silence, she calls out again. "Killian, are you home?"

"Swan, there you are!" He rushed to where she was standing in the entryway and planted a kiss on Emma's lips. Emma could taste the rum on his breath.

"Were you here drinking alone?" Emma teased.

"Yeah, I was waiting for you to get home. What's for dinner, I'm starving?"

"Oh, I'm pretty tired and don't feel like making anything. We can just order a pizza." Emma said as she plopped down on the couch.

"Pizza? I don't know if that's the best idea for you to be eating that... wouldn't want you to lose that great figure you have, right?" He laughed, running a hand down her hip, and winked.

Emma shot him a look and raised her eyebrow.

"Oh, relax. I was joking. Let's order the pizza, I'm starving!"