Chapter 14

(VERY HIGHLY SUGGEST PLAYING THE SONG WHILE READING!)
Song of the chapter: "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons

(VERY HIGHLY SUGGEST PLAYING THE SONG WHILE READING!)Song of the chapter: "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons

Chapter 14 - My Crushing Heart

Jughead and I waited inside the house patiently as everyone was starting to arrive...that is until Betty came. His face ultimately brightened as he rushed toward her, whispering their conversation as I was left standing beside the Blossom's staircase awkwardly. They soon walked away into the next room, making my stomach sink deep into a small pit within my body.

He probably likes her.. I thought to myself. Not only is Betty pretty, but also smart. Jughead would like her. She doesn't ignore him when she's down, Betty would really talk to him about anything. They'd be perfect for each other! Betty Cooper is literally the perfect girl next door.

Though my heart was presumably crushed within my accusations, I wouldn't be that bitter best friend who had missed her chance. It's easier to be happy for the two than anything else.

I scoffed at myself, going over to the room where the casket was placed. Within my journey, you needed to pass the open front doors to pay your respects to Mrs. Blossom and, with my incoherent luck, a face I had been longing to see had entered.

After sending the older woman a saddened smile and hug, she took a deep breath as if she missed the smell of the old Blossom residence. She then began looking around in search of a familiar face within the crowd around her. In a last minute decision, I quickly retraced my steps in a rush, not understanding what could even bring her here. Of all the times to come back, now? This second was what she decided was fit?

"Janny!" Cheryl sighed in relief behind me as I leaned against their unlit fireplace. "I'm so glad you made it." Her voice muffled now.

"Oh, Cheryl, I'm so sorry about what happened to Jason." Her voice muffled as well.

"Where have you been?" Cheryl then started to converse as if my sister was a lost child of hers.

"Um...just on a little break.." Janice replied. "Have you seen Macie?" She then asked.

Cheryl hummed for a few moments until her voice spoke up sadly. "There she is!" She pointed out. I turned around slowly, a fake smile planting itself on my face.

"Hey, Jan.." I grimaced, avoiding eye contact with the brunette who looked more like my parents daughter than I did. Then I noticed that people were already seated in the room where Jason's casket was. "I've actually got to go...find a seat.." I obviously lied, hurrying over to where I saw Jughead, Betty, and Archie seated.

"Whoa, Macie, are you ok?" Archie asked as I plopped down onto the black chair.

"Not exactly." I breathed out. As Cheryl's mother, began walking down the grim aisle, toward the casket, Archie stopped her as he held out Jason's jersey.