Chapter 11

An edit for your troubles :D :D
Disclaimer: not my edit, I found it on YouTube

An edit for your troubles :D :DDisclaimer: not my edit, I found it on YouTube

Chapter 11 - Accusations

Later that day Jughead and I began on our assignment for the Blue and Gold by paying a little visit to Dilton Doily.

"So what are we doing here; good cop, bad cop?" Jughead suggested as he shook his shoulders slightly.

"What? No, Jug. We're just going to ask him a few questions." I reminded as I narrowed my eyebrows at his question.

"..and in that moment of hesitation, you're dead. All of you..are dead." He told his lined up Boy Scouts as Jughead and I walked up behind him.

"At ease, Doily." Jug sighed, sticking his hands in his pockets as Dilton crossed his arms toward us. "We're writing an article for the Blue and Gold and we're hoping you could help."

"Dismissed!" Dilton announced to his little troops without facing them. "But stay close!" He then added over his shoulder.

"Cheryl and Archie both say that they heard a gunshot that morning of July 4th, but they don't know who fired." Jughead shrugged.

"Sheriff Keller already asked me about this, and like I told him; my scouts and I didn't hear anything weird." Doily answered a little too quickly and defensively for my liking.

"Well..did you see anything weird?" I asked, Jughead and I taking a step forward toward him.

Doily thought for a moment as he looked between Jughead and I. "A white-wing crossbill, a long-eared owl, and oh..Cheryl. Sitting by the river. Soaking wet." He answered as if he were trying to prove something. I looked up at Jug to see him looking over Dilton's shoulder to another scout who had been glancing over at the two of us repeatedly.

When I cleared my throat, Jug's attention was steered to me for a moment then to Doily. He nodded his head once before sending me a small glance signaling that it was best to go now.

"Thanks.." I nodded to the boy then went to catch up with Jug. "What happened back there?"

"One of them know something." Juggy whispered and I raised an eyebrow. "And we're going to find out what it is." I sighed, still following my ignorant best friend.

That night Jughead and I were having dinner at Pops when he noticed the scout from earlier. I slid out of my side of the booth gently and walked to the booth in front of him as he spoke to his dad across the table. Jughead soon joined me just as the adult left.

As the kid looked down at his sundae, excitement pooling his eyes to dig in, Jug sat across from him and took the cherry off the top. I slid into the booth beside the kid, our presence now becoming known to the young scout. Jughead extended the cherry to me as if offering it and I shook my head to signal that it was all his. He nodded, eating it in front of the boy without an explanation or a conversation starter.