15| The Second Act

Just in case you were wondering Valentina's solo is up above. Yes, I am aware that this is Juliet's Variation from Romeo and Juliet, but eh. Technicalities. Her costume is up there too.

-

So one week ago, I became Yuri Plisetsky's girlfriend. Yeah, I'm still confused as to how or why it happened. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely the best thing that has ever happened to me, but I'm still in shock that I, Valentina Nikolaev, am dating the famous Yuri Plisetsky.

But on top of that, I've got semi-finals next week. Which means I've been living in the studio, practicing my dance. This also means, I haven't seen Yuri since the official get together. Which is annoying. So now I am at the dance studio, about to go over to the ice skating rink to meet with him.

Once again it was beginning to snow as I made my way out to the studio. Winter was on its way, and the weather was just the first step. I finally reached the rink in my sweatpants and heavy coat covered in the white powder. I opened the door and pushed past the front desk and into the rink. Yuri told me I could just come in whenever, no need for any other appointments. "Yuri!" I called when I entered the rink.

Unfortunately for Yuri, I called for him just as he leapt into the air for a quadruple axel, causing him to lose focus and go spiraling towards the ice. I inhaled a sharp breath as he fell. He hit the ice with a thud and looked up at me with a disgruntled look on his face, to which I began to double over with laughter. "Really?!" He yelled at me.

I wiped a tear of laughter from my eye. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were jumping."

He picked himself up and skated towards the exit where I met him with a hug. "So?" He asked. "Why are you here? You have a competition to be practicing for."

At this, I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, a competition that's been eating my time and preventing me from seeing you, so no. I came to actually see you."

Yuri smiled, something he rarely ever did and sat down on a bench next to me. "That's nice."

"Aww look at Yuri being all sentimental." I teased. Even if I was his girlfriend, I knew how to push his buttons, and oh how adorable he looked while he was mad.

Yuri huffed, glaring at me. "Forget what I said about you being nice."

I fake pouted. "Aww come on."

"Nope I'm going back to the ice. At least that loves me."

"Yuri, inanimate objects can't love you."

"Hm? You saying something? I can't hear you."

"YURI!" And he sure knew how to push my buttons too.

-

Days later I was on my phone backstage at semi finals. There had to be at least a hundred girls here. I hadn't even seen T, Abby, Chloe, or Mei yet. Yuri was in the audience with Yakov and Baranovskaya was with me as I warmed up my ankles backstage. "Slower." She instructed as I sped through warm-ups out of nervousness. I sighed, but significantly slowed down. My mind was racing. Why was I nervous? This wasn't my first time dancing on stage was it? Was it because now Yuri was in the audience as my boyfriend?

Before I knew it, the first dance was on, a small girl I noticed competing a lyrical solo. I turned my head away, trying not to see her. Rule #1, never look at your competition. Instead I plugged in my headphones and continued to stretch. Soft music filled my ears and I soon recognized it as Yuri's original skate music. How I longed for that choreography again. By no means could I skate, but it felt exhilarating to embrace the fluent moves that belonged to the ice. I've grown from the girl that ran into Yuri Plisetsky that night.

I'm not a girl who just wants to get home and eat. I've learned pain, I've gained understanding. I've learned what makes others, and as much as I hate to admit it, my old sarcastic and loud personality faded to reveal me. Valentina Nikolaev. Happy, committed, crazy. Me. The routine I had taught Yuri, the theme was life. Learning about life, dancing through it. Through the ups and downs, twists and turns, changes and scary moments. Just live.

"Excuse me?" I felt as though I had been snapped from a trance. Above me stood a stage manager. "Are you Valentina Nikolaev?"

"Y-yes." I answered.

"You're on in two dances. If you could make your way to the side of the stage." The lady told me before stepping away to find other dancers.

Mrs. Baranovskaya nodded at me before leaving to find a seat in the audience with Yuri and Yakov. One dance... then another... then I heard my name. "Please welcome to the stage, Valentina Nikolaev!"

-

As I stepped onto the stage, something felt off. Very off. I kept my face calm though, letting my cheeks turn up with a smile to hide my fear. What has gotten into me? I'm never this scared. Something was off though.

The first note played, normal. Nothing to be afraid of. My body moved with the music, following each note to the fullest. See, nothing to be afraid of. Yuri is supporting you with your teachers. Mom, dad, Dimitry, and Anna are watching at home.

I was comfortable with the music, letting it set me free on stage. I am a flower princess, this is my kingdom. I will protect them.

At least until...my music cuts off.

-

Words: 936

Oh Valentina, you are about to face your worst fears...

Like me today when my music cut off in the middle of a performance.

Voltron has me shook.

Bye!

-Panda~Chan