Chapter 14

"Oh God, you must be kidding." Yorik spoke for the first time. "A check point? Don't you think this is too much?"

"I think he's just trying to scare us." Alicia snorted, staring at that guy.

He came near Sam's window as she lowered the glass down.

"What is it?" She scowled.

"I'm sorry, guys. But you're trespassing in our area. There's a check point which you'll have to cross in order to enter in New York." The guy said in a dull voice.

"What? We're trespassing in your area?" Sam laughed. "Since when did New York become your own city?"

"This is not a joke, madam." He looked offended. "I'm one of the guards. There are others like me who patrol the city in order to look out for the outsiders like you. There's a medical test which you'll have to go through at the check point."

"A medical test? For what? I'm not pregnant." She rolled her eyes.

"Not only you. Every one of your group has to pass it. For your kind information, the test will detect whether you've the virus in you."

"I'm sorry?" This time, Alicia rolled down her window. "But if we were affected by the virus, we would've turned into one of those."

"There are other reasons which I won't be able to tell you. Dr. Parker will do so." He stated.

"But tell me, why did you jump in front of our car?" Yorik questioned. "There are other ways to stop a car."

"Right in the middle of an apocalypse, with an all vacant highway, no car would've stopped until someone had to make it stop that way." He answered, looking at Yorik.

"Anyway, what are we supposed to do now?" I muttered. "Is the check point an entrance to New York?"

"No, madam. It's a three hours drive from the check point to New York. It's only a precautionary step. You'll reach the main entrance to New York after that three hours journey from the check point. Now, I suggest you to drive me along with you to the check point and I'll introduce you to Dr. Parker and the others." He said, pointing towards the passenger seat.

"Alright." Yorik nodded and gestured me to open the door.

I hesitated but opened it widely to let him enter and sit beside me.

Once we were all set, Yorik pulled out of the highway.

"What's your name, by the way?" I inquired, looking at him.

"Gustavo, madam." He replied, staring out of the window.

"And where's your family?" Alicia asked.

"My son's at a safe place and my wife's dead." He still didn't look at her.

"Sorry." She murmured. "But at which safe place is he at?"

"I'm afraid that I'm not in the position to tell you that. Safety rules." This time, there was a hint of irritation in his voice.

"Are these people like Dr. Parker, good?" I asked.

"Of course, they are."

After approximately thirty minutes, Gustavo sat straight and told Yorik to stop.

"What is it?" Yorik asked, stopping the car at a side.

"I can see the hoarding." He answered, staring straight ahead.

We all stared at the same direction. I saw a tinge of green up ahead of us, but couldn't make out what was written on it from this far, but Gustavo was a regular here, and so, he knew all the signs.