Chapter 1

"Wake up, sugar." A soft hand patted my back as I pulled my duvet close to my face in annoyance.

"You'll be late, baby." I heard my mum speak again, brushing the hair off my face with her slender fingers.

Irritated, I threw the duvet away and sat upright on bed.

"Mum, can't you please knock before entering in my room?"

"Oh, look at you, sugar. You can't stop complaining, can you?" She pulled my cheeks.

"Please, mum. Don't do that. I'm twenty now." I yawned.

"I know. But you'll always be a baby for me." She chuckled.

"Are you done?" I asked in annoyance.

She turned her back to me and walked towards the door. But she stopped and stared back at me.

"Maybe you should stop watching movies all night." She winked. "Affects your health."

"What?" I gasped. Now she even started snooping in my laptop. Great, Rachel.

"Mum, please. Stop snooping in my stuff." I couldn't control my rage.

Without another word, she left my room, shutting the door behind her.

"Eat." Mum placed a bowl of cereal and milk on the dining table as I readied myself for college.

"It's fine. I'll have breakfast in cafeteria." I answered.

"No, you're not. Eat." She sat on one of the mahogany chairs and ordered.

Don't mess up, Rachel. It's okay.

I slumped against the chair and ate a spoonful of cereal.

"What is it?" I stopped as I found mum staring at me with a worried expression.

"I'll be going for a business trip to Japan tonight." She said, chewing her cereal slowly. "Three days."

"Oh. And you're telling this to me now?" I frowned.

"Yeah. I won't see you again today. I'll pack up and leave for office in an hour. Flight's at 8 pm. Marc will drop me to the airport from the office."

"Okay." I said, gulping down some cereal.

Freedom for a few days, Rachel.

"Take care of yourself, mum." I said as I stood on the doorway, holding my backpack.

"You too, darling. I love you, sugar." She hugged me tightly.

"Love you, too, mum." I whispered.

"Call me every day." She shouted as I started walking away from home.

"Yep, I will." I waved till I was out of her sight.

I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed Yorik's number. My boyfriend, Yorik.

"Hey, sunshine," Yorik said cheerfully.

"Hey, Yo." I couldn't help myself from smiling. "Good news. Mum will be out tonight for three days. Up for a sleepover?"

"Wow! Yeah, I'm in." He laughed.

"I'll see you tonight then." I said. "Love you."

"Love you, baby." He said and hung up.

Yorik was a fitness professional who worked in the local gym as an instructor. He was eight years older than me, though I didn't care.

I walked fast through the crowded lanes and finally, reached in college.