Chapter Twenty Seven

My night is spent trying to console Graceful who spends her night sobbing into my chest. The bakery room is dimly lit by the candle that sits lonely on a pile of wooden crates. I had made a makeshift bed out of old burlap sacks that I had found laying around the bakery. I lay on my back with one hand behind my head, the other wrapped around Brooklyn's torso. Grace's head lays on my chest, soaking my shirt with her tears. Her right arm clings around my waist.

"Shhh.. yous safe now." I remind her, rubbing her back. She flinches at this, causing confusion and worry to invade my thoughts.

"That hurts." She cries. I immediately stop rubbing her back, though I am confused because I had barely touched her.

"They really beat ya didn't they?" Graceful nods against my chest, and a new abundance of tears begin to fall from her eyes. I feel my brows furrow. I could never imagine hurting a girl, yet it seemed to come easily to the Delancey brothers. A few moments of silence wash over us before I say; "I'm gonna take care of this. I promise." Graceful's breaths seem to even out. It is evident she has finally allowed her exhaustion to get the best of her, and she has drifted off into a deep sleep. I lay awake, contemplating my next move. The Delancey's were going to get what was coming to them. I had to be smart about this though, I wasn't about to jump into anything that allowed Morris to get the best of me again. Not this time. This time I was going to win.

A few hours pass before the dim morning sun starts to peek through the windows of my father's bakery. Though it was barely dawn, I knew we couldn't be here during the day time, if I were to get caught in here again... I let the thought drift away as I begin to gently shake Graceful awake. Her blue eyes flutter open, meeting mine.

"We gotta get goin'." I tell her. She sits up, gently wiping the sleep from her eyes.

"Lets go for a walk." She suggest. With that, I stand from the ground, quickly blow out the candle, then offer Graceful my hand. She takes my hand and I help her to her feet before we make our way into the brisk morning. The streets are empty indicating that once again, the city was still sleeping.

We walk hand in hand, in silence toward the docks. The sun is just barely beginning to rise, and the cool summer morning air feels refreshing against my skin. When we arrive at the docks we stand in silence, looking out over the water. Graceful steps up onto the bottom board of the railing, leaning into the wind as it blows her hair in different directions. I watch cautiously, observing the odd behavior Brooklyn presented. She was definitely not herself after these past couple of days. However, I couldn't blame her, she had been through so much in just the last forty-eight hours alone.

A sudden gust of wind swoops across my face, pulling my cap from head, sending it flying behind me. Distracted, I turn my back to Graceful to retrieve my cap. Once my cap is safely back on my head, I turn back to find Brooklyn standing on the top board of the railing. Adrenaline quickly takes over my body. My heart pounds heavily in my chest as I witness the events unfolding before me.

"Graceful," I say softly, trying not to startle her. She doesn't say anything. She stands in complete silence at the top of the railing, her arms outstretched to her sides, as if she is taking in the refreshing breeze that floats off the water below. Suddenly Graceful makes a move, "Brooklyn, don't!" I attempt, but it is too late, in one swift motion, the love of my life throws herself from the top of the railing, and into the waters below.

Panic rushes over me. I rush to the side of the dock, leaning over in an attempt to spot Graceful. The only thing I can see is the rippling of the water in which her body has just plummeted through. My whole world seems to be crashing down around me. I have no idea what to do as the shock takes over my body. Time seems to be standing still, I have no clue how much time has passed, seconds? Minutes? All I know is that she still has yet to surface, and I need to do something. I quickly toss my hat, cane, and slingshot to the side of the dock, before diving into the deep water below.

The water stings my eyes as I attempt to locate Brooklyn. It doesn't take me long to find her. Her blonde hair flows all around her. Her eyes are closed as tiny bubbles escape her beautiful lips. I lock my arms around her torso, pulling her toward the surface. We emerge from the water, Graceful is limp in my arms, and the panic continues to control my actions and thoughts. I quickly swim us over to the dock. The adrenaline assists in my strength as I lift Brooklyn out of the water, while also pulling the both of us up onto the dock.

Graceful lays lifeless in front of me. I can't control the tears as they sting my eyes, and flow down my cheeks. "Please wake up." I sob, shaking her lifeless body.

"Move!" Spikes voice comes from behind me. I quickly step out of the way. Spike kneels down in front of Brooklyn before plugging her nose and breathing into her mouth. He pulls away, lays his hands flat on her chest and pumps her heart three times. He repeats these actions four times before pulling away. Suddenly Graceful starts to cough up water, and I quickly make my way back to her side. I slide my arm under her neck, holding her up as she continues to cough up water.

"Thank you." I sob to Spike, he nods once before disappearing again. "Are you alright?" I focus my attention back on Brooklyn. She nods her head. "What the hell was that?" I wipe the tears from my face. Tears now start to stream from Brooklyn's eyes, and I pull her into my arms.

Alright, here's a little more drama for you before I head to bed.

Hope this one is alright! 

Leave me a comment, let me know what you think.

And as always don't forget to vote!

Love to you all

xoxo