Chapter Ten

The boys had all gathered in Tibby's restaurant. My day had been spent wandering around Manhattan, catching up with some fellow newsies. Everyone I had ran into that day, had mentioned that I seemed different, in a better mood than normal. In my mind, I pinned the blame for this on Grace. I couldn't tame the smile that had permanently found a place on my face.

Ringing from the bells that hung from Tibby's door echo throughout the restaurant as Denton walked in. The place was packed with newsies, gossiping and chatting about the strike. All attention seemed to shift to Denton though, as he held a paper with the picture that had been taken the day before shining bright on the front page.

"Hey, hey, big time." Denton smiled as he made his way over to Jack, placing the paper in front of him. I stood excitedly, making my way over to Jack to gape over his shoulder. My excitement getting the best of me. I had never been in the papes before, let alone on the front page!

"Where's me picture, where's me picture?" I question over the voices of the other boys who were also trying to grab a peek at the pape. I grab Jack's shoulder, leaning forward trying to get the best view that I could.

"Hey look attcha, Jack! You look like a gentleman." Mush exclaimed as he placed his finger on the paper, pointing out Jack.

"Please get your fingers off my face." Jack said as he brushed Mush's hand away, along with a few crumbs.

"Where does it say my name? Where's my name?" I probably sounded conceited, but I didn't care.

"Would ya quit think' bought yourself?" Jack pleaded as he returned his attention back to the paper that sat in front of him.

"You got us on the front page." David, who was standing off to the sidelines with Denton, taking in all the excited, mentioned excitedly.

"You got yourselves on the front page. I just gotta make sure you stay there." Denton tells David.

"So what?" Skittery asks. He had been in a bad mood all day. He had even tried to pick a fight with Spike at one point. Not the brightest idea, if I do say so. Skittery needed to smarten up before someone gave him a black eye. "You getcha picture in the papes, so whats that getcha, huh?" He continues.

"Whatya talkin' about?" Mush asks, getting annoyed. He shoves Skittery's shoulder.

"Shut up, you've been in a bad mood all day." Jack fires back.

"Glum and dumb," Race interjects, slapping Skittery across the face. "Whatsa matter widjew? You in the papes, you're famous. You're famous, you get anything you want. That's what's so great about New York!" And as if almost on queue, the boys around me all start to express what they would do if they were rich and famous.

"A pair of new shoes with matchin' laces." Mush sighs, as he takes a seat. He looks as if he is imagining those news shoes being placed upon his feet right now.

Race interjects next. "A permanent box at Sheepshead Races." I snicker at Race's response. Of course that is what he would choose. That kid would gamble all day long if he had the money to.

"A porcelain tub with boilin' wata," I smile, imagining the hot water flowing all around me as I soak in that porcelain tub.

The boys continue telling each other what they would do with money if they had any. The bells on Tibby's door rings again and I find myself looking into the beautiful blue eyes of Graceful. Her face flushes a deep shade of red when she sees me, but she smiles in my direction, before she makes her way over to Race. My heart flutters inside my chest. I want nothing more than to walk over to her, and wrap my arms around her. Though I have a feeling she probably doesn't want her cousin finding out about us just yet.

"So Lets have some ideas!" Jack exclaims, grabbing my attention once more, and silencing the rest of the boys who were getting out of hand with all their excitement.

"Well we gotta show people where we stand." David cuts in.

"Yeah, and we's gotta stay in the papes." Jack adds.

"My paper's the only one printing any strike news, so far." Denton sighs.

"So we should do something so big the other papers are gonna feel stupid if they try and ignore us." Jack suggests. This brings the noise level back up as the boys start to get excited again.

"We'll send a message to the big boys." David says.

"Yeah!" They say in unison, nodding their heads in agreement.

"Like a rally, a newsie rally. With all the kids from all over New York, we'll make it the biggest, loudest, noisiest, blowout this town's ever seen!" Jack smiles wide at his idea.

"Yeah!" Everyone agrees again.

"There's a lot of us who ain't goin' away. We'll fight until damn doomsday if it means we get a fair shake." Jack finishes.

"What happened next Gramps?" Charley asks, his back leaning up against the edge of the couch. I glance around me. Everyone is hanging on my every word.

"Well, your old gramps is gettin' a bit tired." I tell the child, taking my pocket watch out, flipping it open and gazing at the time, 11:30pm. Haleigh still sat in my lap, her head now leaning on my shoulder, her eyes closed as she listens. "I reckon it's about time for bed, don't you?"

"Your grandpa is right." Ashleigh says and she makes her way over to me, picking Haleigh up. "He can finish the story in the morning." She leans down, smiling at me, before placing a gentle kiss on my cheek. She takes Haleigh out of the room at this point, and I groan as I attempt to get out of my own seat. These old bones didn't like to work like they used to.

"Goodnight Grampy." Ester says before she too leaves the room.

"I'll help you to bed, Daddy." Candace offers, but I refuse. I can manage on my own, I wasn't crippled, just old. Besides, I needed some time to myself. With all this recollection of how Gracie and I had first met, my heart was feeling heavier than ever.

"I'm fine, Candace." I realize I probably sound like a grouchy old man, but the love of my life had been stolen from me, and right now, I just needed to be alone with my thoughts as I grieve.

*Since it took me so long to update this last time, I decided I probably better give you guys another one right off.

Don't forget to vote and comment.

love to all!