Chapter Nine

My night was full of flashbacks from that moment. Getting any sleep at all was almost impossible. Every time my eyes closed, her face was all I could see, and it still baffled me how someone could come into my life, and in such a short amount of time mean this much to me. I had never needed anyone in my life. Since my seventh birthday I had been on my own. I didn't need anyone, I was perfectly happy being on my own, though it scared me to death to think about how much I needed Grace right now. I ached for the touch of her lips on mine again. When sleep finally took over my body my subconscious relived that moment over and over again.

Though the sleep didn't last long. An hour and a half to be exact. It had to be close to midnight, I tried once again to close my eyes and drift off to sleep, my brain just wouldn't shut down. I groan quietly, as to not wake up any of the other boys. Then slip out of bed pulling on my slacks and suspenders, grabbing my cane and slipping it into my suspender strap, and stuffing my slingshot into my back pocket, I feel for the key, making sure it was still there, then head out the door as quietly as possible.

The moon is bright as it shines over Brooklyn. The summer night is cool, but humid. The street is quiet, except for some chirping crickets. I walk slowly toward the docks, taking in the refreshing night air. I am exhausted. The past couple days have taken their toll on me. The walk to the docks doesn't take long, and I am relieved when I arrive. I loved this place, there wasn't a single place in the entire world I would rather be. The moon shines down brightly, reflecting off the river. Its nearly a whole minute before I notice the dark figure clinging to the railing, peering out into the darkness.

"Grace?" The figure turns to face me, revealing her beautiful, flawless face. "What are ya doin' here?"

"I was hoping you would be here." She smiles, taking a step closer to me. My heart flutters uncontrollably when she says this. Then anger creeps inside me. Why the hell was she out in the middle of the night in the heart of New York City? Didn't she know there were bad people out there? Didn't she know those bad people could hurt her without even thinking twice about it? It would kill me if something were to happen to this girl. Let alone if the reason something happened was because of me.

"I've told ya once, and I'll tell ya again, it ain't safe to be out here in the middle of the night. Especially for someone like you." I say harshly. She needs to get it through that stubborn head of hers. She needs to be tucked away safely during the night. I don't care if she thinks she can take care of herself or not. The moon lights up her face and I can see when she rolls her eyes at me.

"I wanted to see you." She smiles at me, and with that one line the anger melts away.

"W-why did ya want ta see me?" I stammer, my confidence fading with each word she breaths. She shrugs at this question before stating:

"So I could do this." She leans toward me, placing her lips on mine for the second time that day. The kiss only lasts a second, but it feels like eternity. I can feel my face flush a deep shade of red as she pulls away, and thank the stars above that its night time, and she can't tell my face has turned a different color. I turn my back to her, then make my way over to the edge of the dock, sitting down so that my legs dangled over the rippling water. She waits a minute before she takes a seat next to me on the dock, her bare feet dangle next to mine. It feels almost natural, in a way. Like we were meant to be here tonight, in each other's company, and I don't think twice about it when I feel her head lean against my shoulder.

"Does this make ya my goil?" I wonder, my voice barely audible. I feel her nod her head against my shoulder, before she looks up at me, the moon shining brightly on her beautiful face. The smile that shines back at me makes my heart race even faster than it already was. I cant help myself as I lean toward her, placing my lips on hers for the third time that day. "Race is gonna kill me." For some reason this makes her giggle, she hides her face in her hands as she laughs. I feel a smile creep upon my face as she does this. She was just so perfect. There was no one else in this world I wanted to be spending my night with.

"Oh, how romantic!" I am brought back into reality as Ester interrupts the story.

"Shut up!" Haleigh yells, obviously too engulfed in the story to put up with any interruptions. It is at this point that Haleigh places the key back in my hands, and I begin to rub the edges of it's all too familiar form. "Go on, Grampy!" She pushes, eager to hear more.

The remainder of the night passed too quickly as we talked and laughed together, every once in awhile I would steal another kiss, and I could feel her start to grow tired as the sun began to rise above us.

"I'll walk you home." I suggest, as I stand, my feet had begun to go numb. I desperately needed sleep, but I needed her to get home safely even more. Besides I had to meet Jack at Tibby's in Manhattan later today, anyways.

The walk to Manhattan seems to take less time than normal. Though I was pretty sure this had to do with the fact that Graceful always had something interesting to say, even when she was as exhausted as she was now. I didn't want to leave her side as we approached the 'Hattan newsboy lodging house. Though I knew she needed her rest.

"Get some sleep, then meet us at Tibby's for lunch." I kiss her forehead before leaving her to go find Spike.

***So sorry this is so late, guys! I hope you liked it... I already have the next chapter written and will post it either by the end of this week or beginning of next week. I still have to revise and edit that one, or I would have combined the two!

Love ya'll!

Don't forget to vote and comment!