Chapter Seven

I awake the next morning to Sparky, one of smaller boys, poking my face. Sparky was around seven years old. He had gotten his nickname about a year ago during the Fourth of July celebration the boys and I had planned down at the docks. The little shrimp had run off with the few fireworks Spike had somehow stolen from Pulitzer. He somehow managed to set the bottom of his slacks on fire, ever since he had been known as Sparky.

    "Boss, Spike needs to talk to yah, says it's real important." Sparky tells me in a rushed tone. I groan, I had barely managed to get a full hour of sleep last night. My mind just wouldn't shut down. Images of Grace kept me up all night. I wipe the sleep from my eyes and sit up in bed. I look around the room, almost everyone had slipped out, probably not too long ago. There were a few stranglers lingering, lazy bummers.

    "Get the lead out!" I yell, frightening the few remaining boys in the lodging house. They quickly pull on their news caps and run out the door to start their day. I roll my eyes. Sparky is still staring at me, eagerly. "Yes, Sparks." I say annoyed. "Tell 'im I'll be right down." I say. Sparky nods, then hops down off my bunk and runs out the front door. On his way to tell Spike I was coming, I assume. This day was going to suck. My eyes felt as if they weighed a million pounds, I could barely keep them open as I climb down from my bed. I pull on a new shirt, as I had been wearing my old one for a couple days now. It was starting to get ripe. I pull on some slacks, and pull the red suspenders over my shoulders. I grab the cane that I keep under my pillow at night and tuck it into one of my suspender straps. I reach my hand up to feel for my key, its not there. I start to panic, searching everywhere around and in my bed. It was gone. My heart is racing. No! Where could it be? 'Hattan. There is a sickening feeling deep in my stomach and I feel as if I am about to hurl. That key had always been with me, every since... that day. My neck feels naked without it there.

    I try to calm myself. I will have Spike, and Eddy keep a lookout for it. It could have fallen off anywhere between 'Hattan and Brooklyn last night. Maybe if I hurry they can find it. I pull on my cap and grab my sling shot, sticking it in my back pocket.

    When I arrive at the docks Spike and Eddy are both there. This angers me greatly, Who is on lookout? I think to myself. What in the world are these idiots thinking? How careless could these bummers be?

    Spike had always been the braver one out of the two, but when Eddy sees the look on my face he backs away slowly, and I swear he is trying to hide behind Spike's tall, bulky form. I remove my cane from it's spot in my suspenders. I would never use it on one of my own, but I knew how intimidating it made me look, and I was in no mood to play right now.

    "Who the hell is on lookout?" I demand to know. Eyeing Spike. I can hear the anger in my own voice, and I'm not sure if it's because these idiots have broken post, or because my precious key was nowhere to be found. There is still a lump in my throat that just won't go away. I need to find that key.

    "Listen boss, 'Hattan newsies, they stood up to the scabs yesterday." Spike tells me ignoring my question. "Bull's took Crutchy away." Crutchy was a gimp from 'Hattan, one of the nicest kids I had ever had the pleasure of meeting. Hearing this news made me want to bash someone's head in. "They's talking about doing it again today. Wadda think we should do?" Spike asks refering to the 'Hattan newsboys. I think about this for a moment, I had said that they needed to show me they were serious. Did this prove that they were?

    "Okay, gather everyone you can find. Brooklyn is officially on strike!" I yell to my men. "We leave in 20 minutes." I instruct. Eddy runs off almost instantly. I catch Spike by the shoulder just before he is about to take off.

    "Lost my key last night." I explain motioning to my neck. "Keep an eye out for it, will ya?" He nods in respect, then leaves to go gather the newsies.

    When we arrive in Manhattan a commotion can be heard from close by. I come the realization that the noise is coming from the circulation building. My boys and I do what we do best, we sneak up to the roof tops, where we can see all of the action. The Manhattan newsies are surround by the crib, who are out in full force, swinging chains and bats at our fellow newsies. They don't stand a chance. I motion to my boys to follow my lead, then jump down to the nearest landing.

    "Never fear, Brooklyn is here." I smile confidently.

    "It's Brooklyn!" Mush, one of the Manhattan kids exclaims.

    I, and the other Brooklyn newsies take our slingshots out, loading them with tiny pebbles, and marbles, and firing at our enemies. The crib start to dance, trying to avoid our ammo as rocks and marbles wiz toward their heads, and other various body parts. And just like that, the momentum seems to change. Newsies are soaking the crib effortlessly. I see Race kick some guy in the junk, Oooh that's gotta hurt!

    "Hey, Spot!" Jack yells as he waves me down. I look around me, coming up with a plan to get down there fast. Above my head is a clothes line. I hold on to the pulley system, and swing down toward Jack, kicking two guys in the back, causing them to fall on their faces.

    That's when I notice Grace out of the corner of my eye. She is standing off to the sidelines, trying her best not to get too involved, but throwing a punch every now and again when she needed to. I need to stay focused. I make my way over to the gate, which had been close, so that no civilians could make their way in. I open the gate, allowing the rest of my Brooklyn crew to join us in the fight. It doesn't take long to send the crib back to where they came from. We all cheer in excitement at our win. Before I know it some guy with a camera is taking our picture.