Chapter Twenty Four

"Gramps, you went after her right?" Eric wonders. My heart swells with pride as I look around the room at my beautiful family. Everyone is looking at me intently as they wait for me to continue on with the story. Tears have started to form on the edges of Ester's pretty blue eyes.

I sit, staring at the door in which Graceful had just exited. What had just happened? My mind is racing with questions. I hesitate for just a split second before stumbling quickly to my feet. I grab my cap off the crate before sprinting as fast as my legs will carry me out the door, and into the storm. I run down the ally, looking desperately in all directions in hopes of finding the love of my life. The storm is raging on, rain drops pelt my face, running into my eyes, making it difficult to see. A bolt of lightning shoots across the sky, followed almost instantly by the thunder.

"Grace?" I yell into the night, there isn't any sign that she had ever been here. The streets are empty, I'm too late. I keep running down the street, making sure to look down every ally along the way. "Graceful!" Desperation takes control of me. I need to find her. She shouldn't be out in this storm. I slowly come to a stop as I lean up against a brick building, panting as I try to catch my breath.

"Looking for someone?" A raspy voice grabs my attention. I look up to find a dark figure standing before me. It takes a second for my eyes to regain focus. Morris Delancey stands in front of me with an evil look in his eye. He has one hand wrapped tightly around Brooklyn's arm, as the other holds her mouth shut.

"Let her go." I warn him, slowly, taking a step toward the two of them. Morris quickly takes a step backward as I do this though. My heart is pounding in my chest. The look in Graceful's eyes says it all. She is utterly and deeply scared. I need to get him away from her. No one touches my girl. Not again.

"You know, Oscar isn't goin' to be very happy when he hears about this." Morris snarls as he struggles to keep Gracie under control. She is trying with all her might to break free from Morris's grasp, but she just isn't strong enough for the full sized man. "He really likes you, you know." He nearly whispers in her ear, a look of disgust washes over her face as a single tear falls from her eye out of frustration. "What's he gonna think, you hanging out with this sewer rat?" His eyes focus on me again. My heart pounds in my chest as the adrenaline starts to take over.

"I said, let her go!" I growl at the Delancey standing before me. He begins to laugh, his stupid smug laugh that made me want to break his neck.

"What do you think you're going to do about it Conlon?" He asks me smugly as he continues to laugh. But it is this laughter that will work in our favor, he is distracted right now, and Graceful knows it. In one swift motion, Grace twists in Morris's grasp, bringing her knee hard into his groin. Morris gasps in pain, his laughter stopping immediately. He raises his hand, to take a swing at Graceful, as soon as he raises that hand, I make my move, throwing my body toward the criminal who stands hunched over. I'm not quick enough, however, and the back of Morris's hand collides hard with Grace's cheek. This causes her to fall to the wet ground.

The storm rages on, blowing the wind and rain water all around us. Thunder booms loudly. I slam my fist as hard as I can into Morris's face, over and over again. I glance over at Graceful who is laying on the ground. Her hand clasping the cheek that had just collided with Morris's fist. This was my mistake, now my focus was altered. Morris takes this to his advantage, knocking me off of him. Now it is his turn to take the swings. He continues to lay into me, and I can feel my face begin to swell. I try to fight back, but it is no use. I soon give in, allowing him to punch me freely. I never take my eye off Grace. She has managed to pick herself up off the ground. She is sobbing, pleading with Morris to stop.

"You're killing him!" She sobs, trying to pull Morris away from me, but he just shrugs her off. "Please stop! I'll go back to Oscar. Just stop hurting him!" My heart breaks again as I hear these words escape her mouth. The pounding stops, and I lay in the middle of the street as the two of them walk out of sight.

Sorry this one is so short! I just wanted to do a quick little update,  I hope you guys still liked it though! There will be another chapter tonight. So keep an eye out. Let me know what you guys think. I hope this chapter was okay.

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Love to you all!

xoxo