Chapter Thirteen

I watch contently as Race tells my family about that night, in such detail that I almost begin to imagine I am back there, right by Grace's side.

"Now, I didn't know it at the time, but Brooklyn later told me she had snuck off to be with your fool of a grandpa, here." Race gestures to me as he pulls another cigar out of the pocket of his shirt. Candace hands him a book of matches, so that he is able to light the stick.

"Really?" Ester gushes from the sidelines. She was at that age where everything, even the simplest of gestures were 'romantic'. Haleigh glares at her cousin, and presses a single finger to her mouth, telling her to be quiet.

"Grampy, why did you and grammy sneak off?" Haleigh wonders looking at me with wide eyes. I smile at the little one, before picking back up where the story had left off.

Medda had taken the stage, all of the newsies loved Medda. She was sweet and kind to us all, and always knew how to put on a great show. Her beautiful voice echoed throughout Irving Hall, as the newsboys sang along with her. Although, my attention was not on Medda, instead, I couldn't tear my gaze away from the beautiful blonde that was approaching me. Her blue eyes shimmered in the lights of the theater, like they always seemed to do, whether it be in the moonlight, or the sunlight, her eyes always seemed to be shimmering, to me at least.

She smiles as she finally reaches me, looking over her shoulder to make sure Race's attention was still on Medda. Sure enough, he was now on stage with her, dancing and singing. Graceful snickered at her cousin.

"You look beautiful." I whisper in her ear, making her shiver at my touch. She had on a long white dress with purple flowers that flowed perfectly over her body. Her hair was pinned up into a loose bun. A few strands fell out, framing her face in the most perfect way.

"You were great up there." She tells me. I shrug my shoulders in response, not really believing her. I was pathetic up there, I caved into Jack's side without a fight. Even if Jack was right, I had to keep up my threatening reputation. It's just who I was, without it was I really the king of Brooklyn?

"Spot, over here!" Jack calls from a side table where he is sitting with a beautiful brunette who I had yet to meet, David, and David's little brother, Les. I take Graceful's hand before pulling her in the direction of Jack, not worrying about the consequences. Race could deal with me if had a problem. I take the seat opposite of Jack, and Graceful pulls up a seat next to me.

"What's goin' on between you two, anyway?" Jack wonders, eyes the two of us. I realize now, it probably wasn't the smartest idea to be so close to Graceful right now. Not with all these witnesses. I didn't care what Race had to say about the situation, though I knew just from the way Grace had been acting the last couple days that she didn't want her cousin finding out about us, just yet.

"N-nothing." I stammer. "We're just friends." I lie. Grace's gaze falls to the ground, and I fear that saying this may have upset her. What did she want from me? Could she possibly be anymore confusing?

Jack shrugs his shoulders, probably not believing a word that is coming from my mouth, before going to join Race who was still on stage, dancing and singing with Medda.

Sorry this is so short guys. I wanted to get an update out there tonight. Hope you all enjoy. Don't forget to VOTE and comment. 

Let me know what you think. I love hearing from my readers, it makes my day! (I may post another update before the night is up, if not tonight, then tomorrow. But for now I am spending time with my love, and forcing him to watch the Newsies with me. DUH! <3 ) 

Love to you all.