Chapter Twenty Two

Sleep may have come easily, though it was tough to stay asleep. I awoke with a startle to cries of help coming from Sparky's bed. Eddy, who wasn't on lookout tonight comforted the little boy as the rest of the Brooklyn newsies grumbled in annoyance. Knowing I probably wouldn't be able to fall back asleep if I tried, I pull on some clothes, snagging my slingshot and cane from their usual positions near my bed, and feel for the key that was still hanging around my neck. I slip on my ratty old pair of black boots, and make my way out of the lodging house, into the streets of Brooklyn. The cool summer night breeze is refreshing on my skin. I didn't notice until just now that I was sweaty, probably due to all the tossing and turning I had been doing, caused by the visions of Graceful that engulfed my dreams.

I start walking, not really sure where I am headed. I just need to get away, though I find myself walking to where I always go, the docks. The wind starts to pick up, and I can tell a storm is rolling in. As if on queue, the night sky lights up, as a streak of lightning spreads across the horizon. Seven seconds later, a boom of thunder echoes throughout the city. I loved thunder storms. As a kid, I lived for storms. My favorite part of the summer season was laying in my comfortable single bed, as I listened to the pitter patter of raindrops falling on the tin roof of my old home. That was a long time ago, though. A time when I was happy, a time when I had parents who cared about me.

I take a seat on my usual place on the dock. My feet dangle off the edge over the angry water bellow me. The waves crash hard against the shore line, as the thunderstorm threatens to take over the night. I stare in silence out in the distance, letting the visions of Graceful return to me. How had everything become so messed up?

Suddenly a gust of wind blows across the water, sweeping my cap right off my head. I quickly turn to grab it, but someone is standing behind me, my cap in their hand as they offer it to me. I look up, and am met by the beautiful blue eyes that had been taking over my dreams the entire night. I stand abruptly, my heart racing in my chest. I didn't expect to see anyone out here tonight, as it was nearly two thirty in the morning. I especially didn't expect to find Graceful staring back at me. I clear my throat, not knowing what to say to this girl.

"Can we talk?" Grace asks, as she hands me my newsie cap. I snatch the cap out of her hand, rudely, and place it back on my head before turning my back to her. I had nothing to say to the girl who had just broke my heart not twelve hours before. I lean against the railing of the dock as the rain drops begin to fall. Another streak of lightning breaks across the night sky, reflecting off the angry water bellow me.

"Spot, please." Graceful attempts again. I push off the railing in rage, turning to face her.

"What are yous even doin' here?" I yell the question at her, and my voice echoes into the night air. "How many times you gotta be told not to wander during the night?" I can feel my face start to turn a deep shade of red as frustration, anger, and heartache all fill my emotions at once.

"I needed to see you." She takes a step toward me, as I take a step backward. My lower back now pressed against the wood of the dock railing.

"See me? We can't see each other anymore, remember?" I snarl at the beautiful girl standing before me. Her eyes fall to her feet, an ashamed look spreads across her face.

"It's not what you think" She tries to tell me. The wind is whipping harder now, causing Grace's hair to fly in different directions. The rain is falling harder, soaking the both of us, and the lightning and thunder is starting to grow nearer, which is making me a little nervous. We shouldn't be here right now, not this close to the water while the storm is moving nearer.

"Spot, I had to say those things." She begins again, her voice starting to grow louder as the storm grows with intensity. "Oscar..." She trails off as she tries to tame her hair. "He made me."

"Yeah right." I yell back to her, making sure she can hear me. The waves of the water crash over the side of the dock, splashing against my shins. We need to get out of here. I start walking quickly away from Grace, down the dock, but stop when I notice she isn't following me. "Are yous comin'?" I roll my eyes at the stupid girl who would rather stand out in the middle of a thunderstorm and argue, than be somewhere dry.

Brooklyn hesitates for a moment, then quickly starts to walk toward me, I don't wait for her to catch up, as I continue to walk in the direction of my next destination. I know now that she is following. The rain pelts the side of my face as the wind whips around us. I shield my face with my cap, and lead the way to my second favorite spot in the entire Brooklyn borough. I duck into a close by ally, finding the door I was all too familiar with. Thunder booms one last time as Graceful and I enter the abandoned building.

"What is this place?" She whispers to me. Darkness has engulfed us. I ignore her question as I search for the candle I knew was somewhere around here. I feel a crate, and finally find what I am looking for. The box of matches I had confiscated from Sparks, however, are soaked, so I am glad to find the box I left the last time I was here, still in the same spot. I light the candle, and the room glows dimly. Grace is shivering by the door, her dress is drenched, and clings to her body. Her hair is a mess, and droplets of water drip from the ends of it.

We are in a small room, that is occupied by a variety of old crates, full of outdated flour and yeast. This place had once belonged to my father. He was at one time, a very successful baker here in Brooklyn. But that was a long time ago.

To the left of me is a sign that hangs on the wall reading "Melody's Bakery." Melody had been my mother's name. She was the worst cook, and baker I had ever met in my life. Though my father still insisted on naming his beloved bakery after her.

"What is this place?" Graceful asks again, as her gaze falls over the abandoned bakery.

"This was my father's" I gesture around the room. Grace falls silent, which I am grateful for. I had made it very clear to her in the past that talking about my family was off limits, that wasn't about to change now.

Hope you guys like this chapter, I wanted to do another update today, because like I have said a million times, you guys were so awesome to be so patient with me these past couple weeks. So here you go! Enjoy.

Don't forget to comment and vote.

Love to you all!

xoxo