The prince Part 1

Rei meant for the Lavenders to mean distrust

The Orange mock meant deceit

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Eight years of age

"May you tell me what this ball is for?" I asked mother. I saw her eyes dim a little at my formal attitude, but she should be used to this.

"The prince is looking for a fiancee," my mother replied.

"Why should I attend then?"

"Why shouldn't you?" mother challenged in her soft, sweet tone.

"I simply do not see the point in attending a ball which has nothing to do with me."

"It's a good idea to socialize before you become a duke."

I nodded, "Very well then. I shall go and prepare for the ball."

Rei was already heading towards 'his' bedroom, so 'he' didn't see 'his' mother's face which was filled with sadness and worry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"The duke Everstone and his family have arrived!" a servant announced.

My eyes scanned the room; it was mostly girls hoping for a chance to be the prince's fiancee. Ah, the ever so bored prince. I almost forgot; every capturable target had a 'dark' side.

I watched my brother show a grin so wide that if it were any wider, it would most likely split his face.

"Mother, can I go play with the other kids?" he said in that cheerful tone. So cheerful that you wouldn't ever think that he was a Haragure (two faced). I pity the heroine that would discover his dark side. I headed to the opposite side of where the prince would be; it would be best to postpone my meeting with the prince, it's also be much safer that way.

"May I have a dance, mademoiselle?" I asked the girl near me, whilst holding out a viscaria. I saw that her eyes flashed in disappointment, right before she saw my face, in which she blushed. I smiled in amusement. Ah the daughter of a marquess.

"O-of course" she stuttered. I tucked the viscaria behind her ear. After her, I danced with other ladies. I was already tired of dancing after a few rounds; I excused myself from the ball and headed towards the vast garden, there I saw the blue haired prince. Interesting, it seems like he already has that bored expression on his face.

Prince's POV

I felt the aura of a person behind me. 'Is it assassins perhaps? If so, wouldn't that make things somewhat interesting.....'

I turned to look at whoever was foolish enough to try to sneak up behind me. What I saw was a boy, a boy who had dull purple eyes and grey hair. Ah, Rei Everstone, son of Duke Sakoh. How boring. I put up my facade and bowed politely.

"How may I help you?" I asked him.

He too bowed to me, "I'm quite sure that I don't need help."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm quite sure, please go back to what you were doing. I'm very sorry to disturb you," he said, bowing as he left.

I watched his retreating figure, he didn't seem like the other children. He was very.... formal, if I must say. And.... he didn't seem to want to form any connections with me; it isn't exactly interesting, but it's much better than nothing. I was about to follow him when I noticed something in front of me. I bent down to pick it up.

'A lavender, how interesting,' I thought, I'd never been given a lavender. In fact, I'd never been given a flower before.

Time skip

Rei's POV

"Good morning your highness, would you like to tell me what you are here for?" I asked the prince, who was sitting in front of me, drinking tea. I struggled to retain my polite smile; this was very uncalled for.

He smiled, "You're my friend, can't I visit you without needing anything?"

"I suppose you don't, but as a prince, you must have more important matters than visiting me."

He chuckled, "I'm a prince, not a king. So, mind telling me what the lavender is for?"

"Yeah, what's the lavender for? Fay wants to know!" my brother said, appearing at the doorway.

"Ah, the lavender means many things, ask Fay or Tristen. I believe that I have already told them."

Tristen, at the moment, was trying to hide in a corner. Well he was supposed to be a shadow guard, though he still had much to learn. At least that's my opinion.

"But big brother, Fay knows that that's not what you meant," Fay whined.

'Speaking in third person now are we?' I thought. I wondered why he started.

"It may not be what I meant, but that is what the lavender means," I told him, "Now if you'll excuse me, your highness, I have things that I must do."

"What is more important than me, the crown prince?" he asked in a half joking manner.

"Unlike you, your highness, I have lessons to go to and a dukedom to run in the future," I told the prince, bowing deeply. 'Though, I doubt that I will be able to', I thought.

"Tristen, can you please entertain his highness?" I asked Tristen, who was trying to quietly follow me.

"Yes, master," he replied with conflicting emotions, having a shadow guard really is troublesome.