Lavanders

"Rei, meet Tristen your knight," father told me while we were in his study.

I stared at the brown haired boy in front of me and out of the goodness of my heart, I gave him a stalk of lavender.

"Your dismissed," I told him before turning to leave. Tsk, does father think I'm so weak that I need a knight? Ah, this must be the games 'auto correct', sorry knight, but I don't need anyone that'll betray me in the future. I heard father sigh behind me.

Tristen's POV
I stared at the retreating figure of my 'master'. He wasn't quite like the other nobles, he had the air of self importance, but not enough that one would call him arrogant, he didn't hold contempt, instead caution and indifference. I wondered what happened to make him like that, though, why did he give me the lavender? 

I looked back at the stalk of lavender in my hands, don't tell me he prefers boys?

In the garden
I saw Rei sitting on a branch, staring at the bunch of pale pink flowers in his hand.

"So you're still here," I heard him say. I was shocked for a moment, I was sure that I didn't make a sound, and he didn't even glance at me, so how did he know...... I shook my head and asked the question that has been in my head.

"Er, why did you give me a lavender?"

He glanced at me for a moment before replying, "each flower has their own meaning, take this oleander as an example, it means caution."

I  let go of the breath that i didn't even know I was holding, so that was the reason.

"Ha, you thought that I liked boys didn't you?" he said with a smirk, I felt my face heat up in embarrassment. He threw the oleander at me, and I nearly didn't catch it from surprise.

"Every flower has a meaning, try guessing what the lavender means," he said while walking away. I stared at the oleander in my hands, if an oleander means caution, then what does he have to be cautious about?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few days later, Rei's POV
"Rei, this is your new brother, Fay," father announced, I raised an eyebrow. Why is he introducing me to so many male children these days? 

"So he's an illegitimate child?" I asked. Mother who was next to father gave him a glare that was capable of killing.

"N-no! I was loyal, I promise!" father sputtered. I just shrugged and handed my 'brother' a lavender. 

I saw his confused face ans said the same thing I did to Tristen, "all flowers have meaning, try to figure what this one means."

I looked towards father and thought, 'I realize that you like children, but can you stop picking them of the streets?'

He just gave me a confused look, I shrugged and left to go to my next lesson, 

Fay's POV
"Mother, what do lavenders mean?" I asked my new mother. Now I now why I was adopted, 'father' wanted someone his sons age to play with him, nothing more.

"Lavenders? Well it means grace, love, and devotion. Why?"

I just shrugged, before fake smiling at her,"can I go outside?" Though I just met him, I know that that's not what the lavenders meant. 

A few days later
I put up my facade before going up to my younger brother, "big brother, what do lavenders mean?"

"Grace, love and devotion," he replied with a cheerful smile that matched mine before handing me another stalk of flower, this time it was a white one.

When he disappeared from my vision I dropped my facade, we both knew that he was lying, but why can't I get a good grasp on him?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone want to guess what the lavender meant?
The white flower is called orange mock, try guessing what that one means.

When he disappeared from my vision I dropped my facade, we both knew that he was lying, but why can't I get a good grasp on him?----------------------------------------------------------------------Anyone want to guess what the lavender meant?The ...

I'll post the meanings in the next chapter