Plenty

I settle the book down and smile. No matter how many times I read Jane Austen it just gets better every time. I stand up slowly my hip bruised from the other days incident and my stomach growling out of hunger. But another encounter with Lorenzo would just be awkward and scary so I make my way slowly through the hallway. This is where I often find myself, tiptoeing all the way to the kitchen just for a bowl of cereal or an egg. When I come into the empty kitchen I sigh in relief that my breakfast won't be bombarded or stolen.

I grab the sliced bread and place two in the toaster leaving it to sizzle and become all brown. I make my way to sit down and wait for the toast unsure of how long it will take. I breathe in slowly catching in the smell of warm toast.

"Good morning" I jump at his low devilish voice as he makes his way over to the toaster and yanks the ready toast onto a plate. I scowl and reach for the bread but he snatches it from my grasp. I watch as he grabs the butter and a knife sitting himself down to eat.

"Does it make you happy to steal?" I ask crossing my arms he looks up at me and looks back to his toast making it. He then takes a rather large bite and smirks.
"Your a despicable human being" I say grabbing the bread and plopping two more toast into the toaster.
"I like it when you call me despicable, it makes you look like an easier target" he lifts up the knife and hurls back I flinch instantly as he chuckles evilly. This aggravates me as I completely lose track of my toast. My hands ball up and I try to control my anger.

"You have been nothing but ruthless and unkind since I was stuck down in this hole with you! You really are sick" i snap and so does he as the knife skims my face and lands in the cupboard next to my head. I breathe in sharply unable to move as he stands up and corners me against the counter.
"I may not be kind but I am not sick" he pulls back my hair harshly and I reach up in pain.

"If I hear you call me sick again you won't have a tongue left to speak" he threatens lowly and I feel the tears reaching my eyes. For what I am about to do I will definitely not live. My knee jolts up and bang right in the jewels. He let's go and hunches over before straightening up and scowling angrily. That's when I make a run for it my mind racing but a sudden laughter bubbles up.

I begin giggling like a maniac and it becomes more of a game then an actual threat well at least for me.
"Why are you laughing?" He demands trying desperately to catch me as I run away from him. Why am I laughing? I ask myself unable to comprehend my own understanding of the situation I eventually get caught being thrust against the nearest wall.

"Have you completely lost it?" He asks as I heave heavily. I try to catch my breath my mind swirling and I put on a more serious face. I didn't want to seem like some desperate for attention women. He clearly didn't see it as a joke or a game.

"Lorenzo please let me go" I say nicely and watch as he eyes me. I had said please.
He places me down and scowls turning on his heel and marching off. What was wrong with mr grumpy? I think happiness or even fake joy scares him. I make my way to my room trying to understand how come I had laughed in such a way.

Weird it may be. But there is no reason. I enjoyed the moment and that's all I can come up with. I scowl and try to think of any other logical explanation, but none comes to mind. I lower myself into the bed and see another edgy looking hole in the wall paper.
It's small and agile and I make my way over to it to move it over. It flaps up and down like a small door to keep something hidden. Inside of the wall there lays a book. A dusty one. I pull it out my curiosity getting the better of me.

When I open it up I read the first words, dear diary. I stop. Whose was this?

I look back down and read the first entry.

Dear diary.

He's done it again, he didn't have to kill. But he did. I think he's losing himself. Too much time spent without thinking of his own soul and his own well being. He is drinking too. Scarily. I hope he doesn't not sink into an abusive squaller. In this house of terror this job has changed him. He hasn't been the same since he's come of age.

Strange how one little piece of power can meddle with the minds of those who were so kind. He is of course still kind to me. He comes everyday to speak to me and we talk for hours. Nothing there has changed. But I can see his eyes becoming impassive and cold. Like iron and ice. Like fire and stone, so lovely that red once was and now it's been stained with the blood of so many. Especially women. Love will never give him solace.

Oh the locket though is lovely. He does not wish for me to view him as a monster. And I pray I'm right in telling him about Alexandro. I have to tell him sooner or later.

Here he comes. Bye bye

Mia.

I scowl. Who is Mia and why is her diary locked up in a whole in the wall. I move to put it back but something tells me to keep reading. Who was the man she kept talking about? I open the book back up and go on to the next entry.

Dear Diary,

I didn't tell him. I know I should have but I couldn't. He would either kill me or kill him and I can't allow that to happen. There may be a chance that his true self. The brother I knew so long ago would show favor for my happiness but it seems unlikely. I saw him today. In secret, again. I love him. He wants it to be public but I am afraid of my brothers actions.

I love him a lot and all but he can be brutal especially now. Like I told you before, he has been getting worse and worse. Nothing can express how he has changed.

But i know he is still good.

I know him.. my best friend... Lorenzo.

My mouth opens agape and I gasp. But I hear footsteps and my mind wanders to the book as I shove it under the mattress. I grab the nearest book and open it to a random and inconspicuous page. But who comes in surprises me. It isn't Lorenzo but his mother.
"Hello dear" I scowl. She just wouldn't give up. I didn't like her. She kidnapped me but yet she was determined to treat me kindly and like some sort of friend.

"Come now darling we must prepare the family dinner" she says beckoning to the door. I stand and follow, my mind tracking back to the book. I just wanted to finish it. Understand who was writing and if she really could reach her brother, where she might be. When I come out I prepare myself for hell and remind myself that there are plenty of those journal entries to go.

I would just have to eat with Satan and his demons before I could.