IHTLY Ch. 3

So you know that guy that I mentioned at the end of that last chapter? The one that I was talking to while writing it?

He has a girlfriend now -.- I'm forever alone.

Phoenix's POV

I woke the next morning with a splitting headache and puffy eyes. I groaned quietly in pain and rubbed my forehead. I slowly slid out of bed, not bothering to pick my feet up as I walked to my bathroom. I stood in front of my large mirror and just stared at my reflection.

I looked like shit.

My big, black eyes were rimmed in a fading red with darkness underneath, which made me look like I had minor black eyes. My eyelids were swollen, and my black hair was greasy and messy, but not in a sexy way. My full lips were chapped, and my whole body seemed to sag under an invisible weight.

I sighed. This was going to be a long ass day.

__________________________________________

The ride to school didn’t improve my mood. Leia fussed over my face, wanting to put makeup on me to conceal the bags under my eyes. Cory teased me about looking like shit when I find my mate, and how he or she won’t want someone that looks like a zombie.

Too late there.

 Fee was the only one intuitive enough to know to be silent, not that she would’ve said much anyways.

Dread was pooling in my stomach as we approached the school. I didn’t want to see Andrew and feel the pull that I’ll always feel towards him. However, there was also a small sliver of idiotic hope amongst the dread. Hope that he may have thought over what he had said to me and decided that he wants me to be his mate. Hope that he wants me.

Cory and Leia chatted excitedly as they entered the school in front of me and Fee. I kept my head down and studied the tiled floor, just wanting to go home. I could feel the pull to my mate becoming stronger and stronger with every step I got closer to him. Once we were about to pass by Andrew and his group of friends, I couldn’t resist glancing up at my gorgeous mate.

And what I saw made me feel sick.

There was a beautiful female werewolf standing in the group of friends. She was leaning back into a man’s chest as his arms wrapped around her waist from behind. The man she was so close to was Andrew.

My Andrew.

The girl said something funny, causing everyone else to laugh. She smiled like an idiot up at Andrew, who looked down at her with a fondness that made my heart sink.

Who the hell was this girl? Why was he suddenly interested in her?

Why was he interested in her instead of me?

Her hair was dark like mine, and hers was in tight ringlets all over her head. She also looked to be about my height.

“Phoenix?” I snapped my attention to Leia as she called my name. My friends were standing a few feet ahead of me. “Are you coming?” Leia asked me, confused.

“Uh, yeah. I am.” I glanced back up at Andrew one last time, and I found him watching me. His dark eyes caught mine, and they didn’t leave mine as he put a finger under the girl’s chin and tilted her head back a bit. He still kept eye contact as he leaned down and brushed his full lips against the girl’s.

And it hurt.

It felt like someone was plunging a knife into my stomach, and twisting it harshly. I couldn’t breathe as I managed to escape my mate’s taunting gaze and catch up with my friends. They looked at me funnily, their eyes flickering between me and the group of dominant werewolves.