I stopped trying to be civil to him when I walked into the receptionist's office and heard urgent voices. One was Mrs. Brighton's urgent one and the other belonged to an angry and impatient Angelo Tallerico.

He was dressed in a black shirt, with a red leather jacket in his hand and his back was to me. Even now, I could see the tense ripples in his muscular back as he said, "I'm only asking you to try. There has to be some way we can switch it up. I have enough credits to graduate by now. I'm only asking you to switch around my Advanced Level Biology, Calculus, Advanced Algebra, Chemistry and French with something else."

"I'm sorry," Mrs. Brighten lifted her shoulder in a what- can- I- do gesture. "This is almost to the end of the first semester. The other Advanced Classes are crammed full."

"I'll take anything!" Angelo insisted. "AP Latin, Geography 201, Advanced Level Biology 401, anything Mrs. Brighten!"

I realizing what he want trying and I felt a pang in my heart. He really was going to great lengths to make sure he was not in the same vicinity as I was.

"I'm sorry," Mrs. Brighten said again. "But all the senior AP classes are full. Mr. Hanson just approved the list only last week. You're just going to have to sit it out. Besides, you would have a colossal lot of work to do before you caught up."

"I can handle it," he insisted stubbornly through his teeth. "I really can. Just help me out.  Per cortesia, Signora."

She sighed, "Here's what I can do. When you get back from the Christmas vacation, I can pull a few strings and maybe change your classes for you. Maybe not the AP classes, but I can switch the Advanced Levels some. No promises though, how does that sound?"

Deciding I had heard enough, I spoke up, making my presence known, "Mrs. Brighton, I have the sighed papers from Counselor Rodriguez."

Angelo whipped around and looked at me that for a minute I faltered and took a step backward.

"Grazie for your time, Signora Brighton. I think I'll be able to manage." He stormed out and banged the door.

I had given up on the whole idea.  If Angelo didn't want to be around me, then I wanted nothing from him. I hoped that Mrs. Brighten would be able to help with his request. The farther away the better for everyone.

                                    **************

    Jasper couldn't take me to school one the Friday a week before school finally let out for Christmas so I opted to drive myself. I grabbed a bowl of cereal and was out the door. When I arrived at school, I parked my car and decided to linger a bit to go over my notes for History class before I went into school. My phone vibrated and I read the text from Taralynn informing me she was in the hallway waiting for me. I gathered my books but stopped at the sound of a motorcycle engine. There was only one such fine engine hum in all of Atlantic Hall and I didn't want to clash with the owner. I ducked my head and started for the building not watching where I was walking until I crashed into something solid and dropped my books all over the ground.