26 : End

XXVI. End

Madison Shepherd

  It was a long and much unaccounted for period of time between Taralynn's explanation and figuring out exactly what to do. Was I to tell Angelo the truth now and try to fix things with him or was I to just let things be? Taralynn was stricken with grief; it was almost pathetic, as though it was she who had been living in hell these past few months and not me. I was still very angry at her of course, but that did not give me a solution to my problem.

If only I had not been so hasty in my decision to leave with Jasper just to get back at Angelo. If only I had not kept my friendship with Jasper a secret, if only I had not been so hasty to leave and just waited for probably a few more minutes if only I had actually clarified my relationship with Jasper to Taralynn. If only ....if only.... A thousand ifs went through my mind, but the fact was that the damage had been done already and the only thing now left to do was damage control as Angelo had once put it. But even if he learnt the truth, would it change anything? Would it change Angelo back? Could it? Angelo, who had been sweet once upon a time, was now like a mirror of what he used to be.

"So what are you going to do?" asked Taralynn weakly. I think it must have been close to an hour since she had finished explaining to me and I had been trying to quell the anger in me but in just could not.

"I don’t know, Taralynn," I said quietly, as it was still sinking in. it felt like I was in a dream; like this wasn’t really happening to me like it was a dream of some sort.

"We have to tell Angelo," She said after some time, and then added, "I'll tell Angelo."

"No!" I snapped coldly and glared at her, "No, thank you, Taralynn. You’ve done enough already."

"Madison, I can swear to you, I never meant for any of this to happen."

"I know you didn't. You never mean for things to happen, do you? You just keep on butting into other people’s business and I suppose none of this is your fault, right?"

“I never said it wasn't my fault," she said. "I just I regret that this happened but even you can’t possibly hate me more than I hate myself right now."

I said through my teeth, "Not possible."

She nodded, "Ok, maybe it is but I’m begging you to let me make things right."

"How?" I shouted, angrily getting to my feet. "How can you make things right Tara? Tell me! Can you fix what happened between Angelo and me? NO! Can you turn back the time? No! So how on earth can you fix this mess that you created?"

"Madison, how many times do I have to tell you I'm sorry? I didn’t mean for this to happen,” she paused and exhaled, "Look yelling at me isn’t going to fix any of this. What we need to do is to call Angelo."

"And tell him what huh?" I challenged. "Tell him what?"

"That this was all a mistake!" she told me. "I mean we have to tell him the truth at least. Maybe he’ll listen to you."