15 - The Guilty Feeling

XV. The Guilty feeling

Song of the Day: - A Drop in that Ocean by Ron Pope & the District

* Do It to Me by Lionel Richie

Madison Shepherd

I stared out the window of the plane. We had arrived in Macau and the island was breathtaking.

"That's Isle Nuoah," Jasper pointed to a crescent shaped key among the other tiny islands. I stared out at the pretty sandy colored island as we landed in a private helped. We were ushered into a waiting car that drove us to a ranch style house.

"Just leave your things out," Jasper said to me. "The staff will get them later. Would you like a tour?"

Yes," I said.

"Come with me then," he placed an arm around my shoulders and began leading me through the house. The house had seven bedrooms each with their own en suite, there was a games room complete with four plasma screens, a pool table, a foosball table, even a bowling alley.

"You guys have your own bowling alley?" I asked in surprise and he just smiled. After the games room, he showed me the ball room that was used to entertain guests, the enormous dining room, and the indoor swimming pool.

"This will be your room," he led me to a huge room painted blue, soft oriental rugs, a balcony that opened out to the beach. The bed was huge and the curtains looked really soft and inviting.

"It's very lovely," I said quietly and turned to face him, and I had no idea that your family owned an island."

"It was a wedding gift from my grandparents," he informed me. "My parents used to bring us here as kids, but it was all fake you know." He walked over to the bed and sat down.

I frowned. "Why do you say that?"

"Because it was," he laid back and stared at the ceiling. "I wasn't a fool then Madison. It was obvious my mother and father didn't love each other. In fact, they treated each other with cold politeness just for that sake of appearing civil in front of the children. My father was a cheating self absorbed bastard and my mother was a cold hearted bitch. Add those two together and what do you get?"

"I'm sure you shouldn't be talking about your parents that way," I said sternly, "No matter what, they're still your parents Jasper."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he stood up from the bed. "Listen, I know you're jet lagged and all but try and stay awake, ok? So you'll get used to the time zones. Why don't you freshen up and join me for dinner on the terrace. That should take your mind off things.

He left me and I looked around sadly. I didn't want to be alone, not when there were so many memories eating at me, not when the face of Angelo Tallerico just before we broke up was paramount in my head. Macau was far away enough and yet I still thought of him. My eyes smarted and I squeezed them shut.

Stop it Madison. Let him go, you're in Macau with your friend Jasper. Stop thinking about Angelo Tallerico. He left you ... He left you.... He left you....