3 The Popular Girl

III. The Popular Girl

  Madison Shepherd.

 Carson's betrayal stung but it still felt good to be single again. As I thought back on it I couldn't remember what I had found so endearing about him. He had a weak chin and pressured me for sex. Sex, I thought bitterly.  Now I didn't feel guilty flirting back with Taylor Wright or laughing at Nat Hunter's jokes.

  I sat with my best friends during lunch, Taralynn Rivera who had just returned from her weekend in Miami and was stunned at ex best friend Lori Shipton's betrayal along with Avery Tanner. They all succeeded in making me feel better by bad mouthing Lori and Carson and laughing as I told them about their disgrace again.

"Lori has always been such a slut," Taralynn said with feeling, "it's as though she was born without a shred of dignity."

"Duh," Avery cut in, "and did you hear about that three-some with Nick Hilton and Jerry Walker.

"But come on Maddie," Taralynn said seriously to me, "how are you going to kiss some random guy?"

"I didn't kiss some random guy," I answered indignantly, "besides it didn't mean anything."

Even though Taralynn was right I didn't want to acknowledge it. I had only wanted to hurt Carson and I did. Simple and short.

"Besides do you know how that would make me look?" I went on, "Carson and Lori were making a fool out of me behind my back. I have a reputation to uphold Tara!"

"Someone's a little vindictive," she sang. "Poor guy. What did you say his name was again?"

I blushed under their perusal. I didn't want Taralynn and Avery knowing I had kissed the waiter they had all made fun of, not that there was anything really wrong with him at all.

"Angelo."

"Angelo?" Taralynn's brow furrowed, "Wait do you mean Angelo Tallerico?"

I looked at her in surprise, "Do you know him?"

"I'm surprised you don't remember him."

"Remember?" cut in Avery, "what do you mean Tara?"

"Angelo Tallerico, he's a striker for the Jaguars, you know the one with the dreamy eyes and cute dimples."

"Wait, wait, wait," Avery said quickly, "he was the one who scored two goals at the game with St. Louis Christian?"

"The very one," nodded Taralynn.

"Oh my gosh," Avery looked at me, "Maddie, she's talking about Michelangelo the Waiter!"

"You know it was just a stupid kiss Avery," I snapped in irritation, "and I did it to get back at Carson because he didn't like Angelo." Why was everyone so obsessed with this? It was over and done, it wasn’t like I had a thing with him.