At the center of the lake sits a little island with a pavilion.

"Wow." Mark breathes.

Axle whistles. "Cool."

"Beautiful." I whisper.

Carson chuckles and leads us to a little building we didn't see. He rents a row boat and we row to the little island.

I run into the pavilion and turn around and around, enjoying the breeze and beautiful surroundings. I stop, facing away from the flower fields, where we came from, and find myself staring at the city of Chicago.

"How do people even make stuff like this? This scenery is beautiful." Mark comments.

Carson agrees. "I like coming here during free time. I feel free and relaxed. Like at the beach, except near the city." He glances at me. "Wait. That doesn't make sense."

I smile. "It kind of does."

He smiles proudly and we take in the view. After a few minutes, Carson breaks the silence.

"This place is called the Floral Lake. There are a bunch of other nature reserves around here." He says.

My eyes widen as I look at him.

He chuckles again. "I'm betting you're staying in Chicago for a while right?"

I nod.

"Well then, we have a lot of time to go to the different city and country sites around here." He says with a wink.

I turn away, knowing my cheeks are probably tinted with pink.

For the rest of the afternoon, we played random games, talked, a lot, if I may add, and had a little picnic. We watched the sun set and talked some more.

Heading back to the car, Mark puts an arm around me.

"How'd you like the afternoon slash evening?" He whispers.

I shrug. "Unexpected fun."

He laughs. "Okay."

We continue walking in silence.

"How do you like Carson?"

I stop walking and he laughs.

"I-uh. He's kind. And he's got a different personality, you know, feeling free outdoors and all. And he's caring." I stammer.

He continues laughing.

"I bet that ever since he joined us, you've been talking or thinking in circles, not making any sense."

I stare at him. "How'd you know." I mumble.

Mark keeps laughing and I feel the brother vibe.

We head back home where Carson drops us off.

"I had fun with you guys today. I don't exactly have any friends 'round here." Carson says shyly.

"What?! How long have you been here?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Short time."

I nod my head and don't press further.

"Well, thanks for today. See ya around." He says.

We watch him walk away before Axle starts poking my ribs.

"Would you stop that!" I yell.

The two boys laugh as I roll my eyes.

"Oh forget you two. All you think about is me not being myself cuz a handsome guy I just met hung out with us." I mutter, turning the knob to my apartment.

"That is what happened." Axle replies with a little tease in his voice.

"Whatever." I say, shutting the door.

Their laughter echoes through the door and I retreat into my room.

I call Mandy to tell her about the day, arrange for a day to hang out with Honey, and then get ready for bed.

Before falling asleep, I think about the one thing that made me 'not myself.'

Carson asked about me, my problems, and if I was single. Weird, I know. But we seemed to talk about weird things.
Anyway, when we got to a topic about fake friends, I started crying and he comforted me. He didn't stare at me awkwardly or weirdly. He looked at me with concern and care. And that made me feel- I don't know. Different.

And I don't know about you, but if some guy is caring enough to be that concerned over a stranger's feelings, that's something.

I pray and close my eyes. Maybe tomorrow I'll be 'myself'...