‡ Chapter 8.5 ‡

Start from the beginning

"Hello, sir," he responded and pushed up his glasses.

The moment was more awkward then Isaac pictured it. After he told them the news, Rivyn ushered him out of the house while her husband destroyed the furniture, telling him to come another time. She was sweet about it and handed her daughter's incident oddly well.

This was also why he was here, to finally confront the Daniels, him being the last person to see Jessie before she left. Fearful about their reactions towards him, he was puzzled by their casual tones.

Rivyn gingerly cushioned her black beehive looking hair while blowing a smoke. "Isaac, I know you're having an affair with our daughter."

His eyes widened. "What?!" He never even kissed Jessie before, let alone have an affair. Sure he dreamed endlessly and wished constantly of it, but she was never interested.

She lifted a shoulder. "It wasn't that hard to piece together. Last week's movie night, ice cream Tuesday's, and other...things..." She held his gaze, softening her face. "Honey, just tell us why she left. Did you say something to her? Jessie can be impulsive like me sometimes."

His words were stuck in his throat.

An outrageous theory must have found its way through her mind, her brows arched, shocked. "Isaac, what did you do?"

Isaac gapped. "Do? Do?!"

Brian spoke, lowering his reading glasses. "She means, what did you do to make Jessie leave?"

He drew his seat back. "I did nothing! I'm telling you!"

The parents exchanged knowing looks. "He did something," Brian said.

"Totally." Rivyn nodded. She waved her cigar at Isaac. "You've been best friends with her for ten years and a couple for probably ages. I have a feeling you both lost your virginity to each other too, what-two years ago maybe?" She sighed, misty fog breathing from her lips. "She never tells me anything these days."

Maybe because you're never around, he thought.

"C'mon," she said, "you must have done something."

He flagged his hands like a crossing guard, his voice raising. "For Pete's sake! I'm telling the damn truth! I made a rush for the bathroom, did my business, but when I came back to the picnic table-"

"Oh, God. It was the sex. It was, wasn't it? You stopped giving her sex."

Isaac groaned. "Mrs.Daniels, we're not even-"

"You forgot, didn't you? I told you this already." She drew a long groan, closing her eyes before opening and saying, "Once Jessie is hooked on something, you must continue giving it to her; such as her Friday mocha lattes-you know she needs those. It's dangerous not to give Jessie sex. Same with men too. Tell your older sister, it's dangerous if you don't give a man sex. If you don't, he'll slip on his hiking boots and hit the road," she said.

"If it's so damn dangerous," Brian mumbled behind the paper, "Then how come I don't get some?"

Rivyn fired a nasty look across the room. "Because I've been hoping you'll hit the road."

Isaac covered his eyes, rubbing his temples with his two fingers. He forgot how odd the Daniel's relationship was, the love/hate atmosphere both hilarious and mind aching.

"Perhaps Jessie disappeared for a different reason," Rivyn said, grounding her cigarette and then taking out another. She cupped her hand and lit it quick before blowing a puff. "Hey, maybe it wasn't our daughter's fault." She tapped the end. "You know, I was reading the paper last week. A man was abducted by aliens. Disappeared in a blink of an eye."