Happiness is a Warm Car

I walked outside and was immediately greeted by a gust of cold wind and rain. People weren't lying when they talked about all the rain in England. I stumbled ahead to the curb to hail a taxi. I shivered and pulled my coat closer around me and peered through the rain, looking for some sort of a rescue from this downpour.

I'm from Arizona. It's a dry desert that hardly gets any rain, and when it does, everyone goes crazy even if it's a little sprinkle. I wasn't used to this at all so it was freezing to me.

I could barely hear my music because of the wind whipping around me. It was a lost cause. I pulled my headphones off and put them in my pocket.

I saw a taxi coming down the street and raised my hand to try and catch the drivers attention. The taxi just kept barreling on its path.

"Need a lift, love?"

A sleek black car pulled up to the curb beside me with its driver side window rolled down.

I looked into his hazel doe eyes for the first time without the aid of my phone or a computer screen.

I gasped and smiled.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to cause you any trouble, Sir McCartney."

"I'm happy to help you, love. And just call me Paul." He chuckled.

"Well, ok, I'd love to get out of this storm."

"Hop in, then." He smiled, and got out to help me put my bags in the trunk.

"Thank you so much, you didn't have to stop your night for me."

"It's fine, love. I wanted to."

We both got in the car with the windshield wipers blazing. I had no clue why I was acting so calm, after all I was in a car with Paul McCartney for crying out loud!

He lightly stepped on the gas as we joined the flow of traffic.

"So, where are you from? Somewhere in America, by your accent?"

"Yes, I'm from Arizona. Phoenix, to be exact. My name is Teresa Schneider, but I go by Tessa."

Paul smiled wistfully,"I really did love Arizona, it took a while to get used to the heat after living where it rains almost everyday for my whole life."

"That would take years for me to adjust to. I like the rain, but it's just pouring now so it's not as fun."

"I agree."

I carn't believe this, it's insane! It's not real!

"Oh, Tessa, I meant to ask where you wanted to go, love."

"Oh, yeah I guess I should have told you before I got in the car. Well, I haven't booked a room yet, but I guess any hotel close by will do."

"You haven't booked a room yet?" Paul asked incredulously.

I shook my head.

"Why don't you just come with me?"

"Well where are you going?"

"Home."

My mouth dropped open in shock.

"Paul! I couldn't impose on you like that."

"Tessa, You aren't imposing on me. I'm inviting you."

"Well ok, if you really want me to."

"I would be happy to have you, sometimes it gets a little lonely with just me and Nancy."

Oh, yeah I completely forgot about Nancy. Oops! My mind is to hung up on Paul. Oh jeez, I'm just a crazy Beatlemaniac!

Paul had turned on the radio and was messing with the buttons, trying to find a good station.

"Here, I'll do that."

Paul smiled and look at me out of the corner of his eye, still focused on the road.

"Thanks, love."

I smiled and finally found the classic rock station. Ironically, Hey Jude started playing. Paul and I looked at each other with matching smirks and started singing the first of many songs for the rest of the car ride.