Chapter Two

If Leo had a choice, he would have left his room in a split second. However, today, that is not the case.  He smothered the urge to leave, and huddled under his blankets. Trying to remind himself that they brought warmth and comfort, and, yes, escape would be more than satisfactory. Sadly, he couldn't-and wouldn't- risk it. He didn't want Raph to hit him again. It was different than when enemies punched him, or dealt wounds. It was...heart-breaking, in this case. His own brother meant to hurt him!
      He shook his head, trying to clear these thoughts away when he heard the door creak open. His breathing sped up and he immediately thought the worst. He kneaded the blankets in his sweaty fists, gulping shakily as he did not dare to look back.
      He nearly jumped out of his skin as his blanketed shoulder was met with a cold, bony aged-hand. Master Splinter's. He quickly looked up, and caught his breath, turning his face into his pillow with relief.
      "Sensei, you nearly gave me a heart attack!" He exclaims, sitting up. His skin met the cold air as the blanket lazily slid off his shoulder.
      Master Splinter smiled kindly, his wrinkled eyes shining.
      "My son, there is something I wish to give you." Leo took a moment to notice a package wrapped in old bits of left-over Christmas wrapping paper sitting in the old rat's lap. He tilted his head softly, and pulled the blankets back up around his body to hide his wounds. Thankfully, Raph didn't hit his face.
      "What is it, Sensei?" He asked softly, looking up at his master with curiosity. The same type that you would see in a child's eyes. Splinter, once again, smiled warmly, and placed the package in Leo's lap.
       "My son, boredom can be cured with curiosity," he paused, " there is no cure for curiosity." He sat there, waiting patiently for Leo to tear through the package. Leo sat there, looking at it until he realized he was supposed to open it. He made a shocked sort of grunt as he found Splinter waiting, and busied himself with trying to preserve the already trashed wrapping paper. Curiosity glistened in his eyes like tears as he saw the smooth brown leather cover of a book. The yellowed pages peeking out from the cover suggested that it was extremely old. He picked it up out of the paper, and marveled. It was gorgeously made, although old, anyone could tell that the leather had been engraved with letters now too weathered to read.
Splinter took the book gently out of his hands, and sighed in reminiscence.
"I've had this book for a long time. It means a great deal to me, which is why I'm giving it to you," he smiles, touching the cover gently, then handed it back to an expectant Leo.
Leo looks up at him, holding the book as if it were a precious gem. Leo looked incredulous.
       "But," he started, letting out a quick confused sigh," why me?" Splinter met this question with a deep sigh,
      "You may not know it, or understand, but you are destined for  greatness that even I do not even fully comprehend. Enjoy the book, my son," he stood, and folded his hands behind his back as he left the room; leaving Leo also to his baffled thoughts.
      Leo looked down at the book, and scowled.
      "Destined for greatness...?" He asked himself, and scoffed not a moment after, "yeah, right."
      He hid the book under his bed. Out of sight, out of mind, he thought. He let out a sigh, and went on with feeling sorry for himself. Awaiting the next time he'd be belittled.