Chapter 38: Chicken Noodle Soup

Start from the beginning

I could see the look in his eyes, regardless that he was smiling at me. He was remembering her and I didn't blame him. You don't forget the little things like that.

I grinned at him, "Well I think you're right."

I scooted over and patted the blankets beside me. Logan started to climb in next to me, but paused when Nix began to whine downstairs.

"Hold up," he chuckled and disappeared down the ladder.

He came back with Nix and dumped her on the bed. She stumbled around, rolling over and jumped on my feet happily.

I chuckled and scratched under her chin, keeping her away from my food.

Logan and I sat in bed for a while. I ended up finishing off two bowls of soup without feeling like I'd see the contents again.

Logan fell asleep against my shoulder as another tv show ended. Nix lay in between my legs, also snoozing peacefully for a mid afternoon nap.

I glanced at Logan and looked down at the gentle grip his hand had on mine while he slept. I smiled to myself. No one had really taken care of me like this.

If I was ever feeling sick back at home, mom wouldn't believe me unless I had a fever. If I did have one, she'd lock me in my room and tell me to keep away from her and dad because they couldn't afford to get sick.

The maids would come in and out to see if I was still breathing and to bring me food or medicine.

No one really held their hand to my forehead, or asked me if I was feeling better. I couldn't recall anyone ever making chicken noodle soup just to make me feel better, or sitting with me for comfort even though they were at risk of getting sick too.

I frowned as I wondered how I never noticed that as a kid. At the time, I had no idea I wasn't receiving the average type of love parents were supposed to give to their children.

Looking back now, I could see how careless my parents were and how they never really paid me any attention. I was too old to have a pity party over it now, but it still stung.

I had always thought they were too busy to tell me goodnight or that I had to work myself harder to reach their standards for them to kiss me on the forehead when they left every day.

I never realized that they had always put work and status before their own daughter. Until now. It made me want to hate them. I wanted to scream at them for leaving me in the dark and compensating with money that never worked.

For keeping me from having real friends and for thinking I wasn't good enough for them.

But the anger was pointless really. They weren't about to change and they were certainly too proud to apologize or even agree with me. My parents will always be the way they are, and it killed me that I had no faith in them to change whatsoever because I knew it would never happen.

When I eventually have to go back home, I hoped that they could at least understand why I was going to leave again. And why I would not be coming back.

If they didn't care now, they aren't about to care later anyway. I'll send them a Christmas card or something so they know I still think of them, if it doesn't get buried under the piles of documents and files on their desks.