Chapter 35: Brainfreeze

"Wow, look at it!" I beamed, squirming closer to the window to get a look at the bridge. Towering red metal beams arched high above the cars, suspending a long bridge over the water. The Golden Gate Bridge.

"Yeah, its huge," Logan grinned, looking upwards.

Today we were checking out the bridge before we left tomorrow morning. I wasn't sure what we were going to do, but I just wanted to see it.

Nix barked from the back as she spotted another dog.

"Look at the traffic," Logan grimaced, watching a line of cars slowly move across the bridge. It was a little crowded today.

"I don't really wanna go through that," I groaned lazily. It'd take us an hour to get through that, then another to drive back across. I was too lazy for that shit.

I grinned as I saw a less crowded alternative, "What about biking across? There's a rental."

Logan nodded and smiled, "That looks much better. I hope we can take Nix."

We got out of the truck in front of the bike rental shop and went inside. A guy behind the counter greeted us.

"What can I do for you?" He smiled politely.

"We were hoping to bike across the bridge," I said, jeering a thumb over my shoulder in the bridges direction.

He nodded and went around the counter, walking over to the bike rack on the wall, "Take your pick."

We scanned the bikes, trying to pick our favorites. Logan grabbed a random bike and I chose the cutest pink and blue one.

"Um, anything we can do with her?" I pointed at Nix, who sat at my feet, obedient for once.

The guy stared at her for a moment before holding up a finger as he bent behind his counter to shuffle around, "Maybe..."

He held up a nice sized basket, "Would this work?"

I glanced down at Nix and shrugged, "We can try."

The basket buttoned to the front of my bike and I picked Nix up, setting her down carefully.

Her front paws hung over the edge but she sat back like a good dog and looked at us as if she wanted to know what was happening.

"I think that'll be just fine," I chuckled, scratching Nix's head. We grabbed a couple of helmets and paid the renting price. It was a little pricy but that's what we get for doing something so tourist-y.

Nix was less well behaved when we left the shop, continually trying to clamber around in the basket, which she didn't have the space for. Pigeons and sounds excited her and I tried to push her back gently.

"No," I sighed as she attempted to jump out for the third time. She's going to hurt herself at this rate, I can't hold onto her while biking.

I was worried about her leaping out and getting into traffic. Logan patiently paused as I took her leash and shortly tied it to my bar, making a doggie seat belt.

Nix wiggled, but it restrained her tightly and I smiled, "There. Can't be a little escapee now, huh?"

"Lets go babe," Logan said, hanging his camera around his neck and mounting his bike.

I threw one leg over my bike and hopped on, following Logan towards the bike and walking entrance on the bridge.

It was railed off from the actual road and didn't have too many people walking long it. The people traffic was less than the cars. Bikers stayed to the right and some intermingled to chatter.