Chapter 29: 3 Day Stay

"No, Nix!"

I chased the puppy down the isle and caught her by a leg. I pulled the plastic wrapped rawhide bone from her mouth and sat back tiredly.

"Having fun yet?" Logan chuckled, strolling by.

I gave him a look of exasperation. Nix was a ball of energy and spunk. She had to chew, lick and sniff everything in sight.

I picked her up and tucked her under my arm, following Logan. We had stopped at a petsmart and had picked up a small bag of dog food so far.

I paused by a shelf that leashes and collars hung from, "Here we go. You certainly need one of these."

I picked out a black collar with little diamonds on it. Then I grabbed a leash to match.

Nix growled playfully and tugged at the leash.

"Here, savage," Logan took the leash from her and shoved a teddy bear in her mouth. We grabbed some food bowls and any other essentials Nix needed. As much as I wanted to, I didn't splurge on her.

She seemed to like that better. We were able to get through the rest of the store without Nix destroying any more displays or trying to make off with a treat.

I grabbed her a little bone for behaving decently.

"What a cute puppy!" The cashier grinned as she wrung us up.

"Yeah she's..something else," I chuckled.

"She's a fuzzy tornado," Logan said behind me.

I elbowed him as I fought back a grin. We got back to the truck and Logan sighed as he shoved the sack of food into the bed and under the tarp.

"We've acquired too much shit," he said, looking over the mound that the tarp was stretched across.

I nodded in agreement as I placed Nix in the passenger seat. We got back on the interstate and I fiddled with Nix's collar.

"Ouch..- hey! Little shit, hold still," I pulled my hand away from Nix as she tried to gnaw on my hand with her sharp milk teeth.

I avoided being shredded while I clipped on her collar and tightened it to her size. She raised her back foot and scratched at it, shaking spastically.

"Yeah, get used to it brat," I giggled, scratching the top of her head.

A couple hours later, we learned that Nix was a singer.

"Say oooooooohhhhh!" I half-yelled-half-sang.

"Arooooooooooooooo!" Nix howled in my lap enthusiastically.

Logan and I laughed at her antics. She truly was a fun dog. I kept her in the back while I was busy up front. I was painting my toes and nibbling on some chips.

"Hit me," Logan said.

I pulled a potato chip out of the bag and held it out. He took it and munched on it happily.

I turned back to my foot on the dashboard and tried to keep my polish fresh without it looking streaky.

I blew on my toes to hurry the drying. I finished painting my toes with only one mishap and sat back.

I glanced over my shoulder at Nix.

She yawned and cocked her head to the side.