Chapter 1: Evangeline Rivers

I sat in the seat at my window, staring out into the garden. Louise's voice droned on somewhere behind me. I sighed as I watched a bird flit past my window, playing with its friends.

"And then after the battle of- Evangeline? Hey!"

I lazily looked back over my shoulder to see Louise tapping her foot, a map drooping in her hand.

"Yes?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Would you please listen?" She frowned slightly, "I do get paid for this, you know."

I shrugged. Of all the days I really didn't feel like doing this, today had to be one of the days I really really didn't want to do this.

Louise was still looking at me expectantly. I rolled my eyes and faced her, "After the fourth battle, the roman army was forced back into the east. They tried again two years later but failed after the leader mysteriously died, most likely due to his wife because she wanted her son of another man to take over."

Her stance slouched slightly, "Right..I forgot that you read the whole book..What am I even here for if you're so self taught?"

I smiled genuinely at her, "Well, you are my only friend LuLu."

She tossed the map to the side and put her hands on her hips, "I am not your only friend."

I raised an eyebrow challengingly. She chewed her lip, "Well, uh, what about that girl? The senators daughter? Haven't you gone shopping with her a time or two?"

I made a face at the mentioning of that girl, "All she cares about is talking about boys and wishing the mall had more things for her to buy. I don't like her."

"She's like your mother," Louise pointed out.

"Exactly," I chuckled dryly. Exactly like my mother, and who could stand that?

"Oh."

I don't go to a public school, or even a private one. I've been homeschooled by professors and tutors since I was five years old. I learned throughout the years without summer breaks.

Holidays were a three day event deal that I got out of school for, but that was all, other than weekends.

So throughout the months of later May through August, I would watch other teenagers my age run wild for summer. I would get a hold of Louise's phone and see social media packed chalk full of fun and friends. I wanted that so badly it hurt.

As a result of my constant schooling, I'm 'graduating' a year early.

I say 'graduating' because there will be no actual graduation for me. Just a diploma and probably a, "Well done. Now choose a college," from mom and Dad. Nothing special.

Louise had started teaching me four years ago when she was straight out of college. She is extremely gifted and was only a few years older than me. Our age closeness made us out to be best friends.

We were also best friends because she was one of the only people I could stand because she's real. Truly kind, truly caring, a true friend.

Mom and Dad didn't really let me socialize with anyone outside their inner circle. I didn't like the kids of their snooty friends, because those snooty people had even snootier children.

I preferred to be alone instead of listening to some half brain rich kid jabber on about how many shoes they had. One told me they could probably buy my parents if they wanted to. Who says that?

So, Louise was indeed my only friend. And she seemed to understand me more than anyone else. She did spend five days a week with me.

She sighed and sat next to me, leaning one elbow against the windowsill, "One week Eva. That's all you have left to listen to me."