~~Symphony #8: Sharp~~

~~~

"What the hell did I agree to?" Kanade shouts, yanking at her hair as she paces her mother's office. "I don't even know anything about romance, let alone how to get two people together!"

She confesses everything to her mother as soon as she got home. She doesn't realize the possibility of losing until she thought it over. If she isn't careful enough this whole thing could end badly. Hence the dramatic pacing. Maybe she should've thought this through more.

"Language, sweetie," her mother reminds her. She hardly even looks up from her pink typewriter. "surely you must know a thing or two from school. You go to the host club after all."

"I only one what I know from romance novels," Kanade sighs heavily, sitting back down on a teal bean bag next to her mother's desk. "The host club isn't really reliable since all they do is flirt with ladies."

"Since when did you read romance novels?" her mother turns toward her, lifting an eyebrow.

Kanade smiles sheepishly. Really, that's what her mother got out of that whole conversation? She forgot she sort of lied to her parents about what types of books she read. She started reading them last year and got hooked on them.

"Remember sweetie, romance novels are nothing but cliches," Natsumi rereads what she wrote before taking the paper out of the typewriter. "and they tend to exaggerate alot of things, like first kisses, for example. Remember if he ever decides to lean in, bring breath mints with you just in case. Or if you don't like him, slap him without a moment's hesitation."

She blushes at her mother's words but sends her a look of exasperation. She honestly not surprised by her mother's eccentric actions.

"But you're writing romance novel right now, mother," Kanade says in an emotionless tone. "and you've written at least three shoujo mangas."

"Eh, details, details," her mother waves a dismissive hand. "I write them because for some strange reason cliche romance novels attract readers."

Kanade averts her eyes and winces when her cheeks heat up in shame. She's one of those readers.

"Remember what I said,dear," Natsumi pipes up cheerfully. "that advice is strictly for you and this Ootori boy!"

"Okay, thanks anyway mother," Kanade giggles nervously as she stands up and leaves her office. She certainly didn't miss her mother's evil cackles. "I simply must be going now."

She sighs with relief when she finds herself walking down the marble hallway.
"Hello, father, just came home from work?"

"I wish we could change the ringtones at work just like on our cellphones," he sighs wistfully. "there's a person who calls regularly and specifically needs the 'Cruella DeVille' song."

Kanade giggles at that.

"Is your mother in her office?" He asks, frowning as he looks over her shoulder.

"Mmhmm she's actually writing again!" she nods her head. "How did you manage to do that?"

"We simply threatened to cut down her Pocky eating habits to once a month," he says. His glasses glint in the lighting as he smirks.

She shakes her head. Her parents were something else.

"Were you talking to her? "

"I needed relationship advice from mother," Kanade shrugs nonchalantly.

Her father blinks at her in surprise.

"Relationship...advice?" he squeaks. He has an odd expression on his face.