~~ Symphony #2: Staccato ~~

She doesn't see him around when school ended. He doesn't bother her at all which she only hopes is a good thing.

She sighs with relief, seeing the limo driver pull up into the school's driveway. She sits in the seat, pulls out her headphones, and listens to classical music the whole ride. Kanade thanks the driver when she sees a familiar mansion from over the hill and walks through the front door. She checks the grandfather clock over by the grand staircase. It's almost six PM which means that dinner would be ready in thirty minutes and her family would be waiting for her in the dining room.

Kanade sits in the middle, while her parent's each sit at one end so that they could face each other. Truthfully, their dining table could fit at least twenty people from how long it is. It's silent throughout dinner save for the clicking from her mother's typewriter and occasional clangs from their silverware.

"Dear, must you write at the table?" Her father asks. He frowns at the piles of paper by her side.

"But, of course, darling!" her mother replies without looking up from her work. "I have to get this manuscript done soon. Akito's coming over later and you know how persistent he is."

Ah, Akito Kimura. As nice as that man is, his persistence is worse than a telemarketers' sometimes. She didn't know why her father insisted. When mother wrote, she wrote nonstop.

"So how was school today?" Her father asks. "Make any friends yet?"

"Unfortunately no, father," she sighs heavily, slouching in her chair as she stabs her food with a fork.

"Please fix your posture, Kanade," her Mother says. Her eyes are fixed to her typewriter, fingers flying across the keyboard. "You'll get a bad back if you sit like that."

"Yes, mother," Kanade replies, groaning inwardly as she sat up straight.

"Don't worry, Kanade," her father smiles weakly, "I'm sure you'll make friends by the end of the week."

"Wait, um, there is something else I need to ask you both," Kanade smiles sheepishly, and winces when both her parents turn towards her, listening with rapt attention. "Do you happen to know what a host club is?"

There's a pregnant pause before her father starts choking on his meal. He hacks and coughs until he sips some sparkling water to compose himself. Her mother's hands paused in midair. She stiffens and glances over at her husband.

"Is it something bad?" she squeaks, startled by her parent's reaction.

"No, it's nothing bad per say, sweetie," she catches the hesitation in his voice. "Where did you actually hear about a host club?"

"Well, an acquaintance wants me to go there tomorrow," she says with a long sigh. "He wouldn't tell me what the club was about."

"He!?" Her parents exclaim in unison. She jumps in her chair with a start and waves her arms around frantically.

"It's not what you think!" She shrieks. Her cheeks are warmer than usual. "He just wants me to go there as payback, that's all!"

They both lean back in their chairs in disappointment.

"Who did you say wants you to go there again?" Her mother asks, fanning herself with a piece of paper.

"His name's Kyoya Ootori," Kanade replies hesitantly.

"Ootori?" They ask in unison. It's frightening how often they did that. She frowns when they glance at each other with knowing looks on their faces. It's like they're having a conversation in their head.

"I think...I think you should go, Kanade," her father says after an awkward silence. "It's a wonderful opportunity to for you to make friends."

Her stomach sinks and she hopes it's not because of the dinner they just ate. Right. Go out and mingle with the rich folk in Ouran. She can see that going downhill fast.

"E-Excuse me, Mrs. Fujishima?" A meek voice comes from the hallway behind them. The three whirl around and see a tall, blond man dressed nicely in a tuxedo smiling sheepishly at them. "I know this might be a bad time but I was wondering if I could take a glance at your new manuscript? The deadline's coming up soon."

There's no response from her mother. But the trio glance at each other knowingly and evil Cheshire-like smirks are spreading across her parents' faces. A small smile of her own spreads across her cheeks. Without giving the man any warning, the trio stand up from their seats and run out of the room in a hurry. The man splutters, stepping to the side to avoid being trampled.

"Wait, Mrs. Fujishima! I need that manuscript!" He cries out and runs after them. "Mr. Fujishima, you shouldn't encourage your wife like this! Wait!"

☆☆☆

Kanade sighs heavily as she walks into her bedroom and gently closes the door behind her. She glances around, taking in her pastel yellow walls and white furniture. She has a music stand by the glass window with sheets spread across messily. Other than that her room is normally neat. She quickly changes into her blue nightdress in the bathroom, grabs her phone from her messenger bag, and flops onto her bed. The white canopy flutters in the air for a moment due to her movement.

She turns on her phone and quickly notices the white message symbol on the top. One new message from her best friend. She frowns. She hasn't heard from her friend since their last days in middle school. Hmm. Wonder how she's doing in Lobelia?

She quickly scans over the message's contents and clicks "okay" to reply. Her fingers hover the letters hesitantly, debating if she should reply. She shakes her head and types a message back.

"Ouran's great as usual! No need to worry, okay?" - Kanade

"Those rich people are gonna eat you alive, of course I'm gonna worry!" - Ayumi

Kanade groans out loud and smacks her head against her headboard. She hates when her friend's right. She places her phone on the nightstand beside her to charge and lays on her right side. She didn't know what she was going to do tomorrow. She really doesn't want to go to the club. But from the way Ootori spoke, skipping the club wouldn't be an option any time soon. She needs her violin again.

☆☆☆

Kazuko Fujishima pokes his head out from a empty room when he hears the sound of a violin, playing at a fast tempo in the hallway. He shakes his head. That daughter of his is going to figure out that music just couldn't solve all her problems one day. He hopes that day isn't coming any time soon.

"Are you not going to tell her what a host club actually is?"

"Oh, hello dear, are you done with your wild goose chase?" Kazuko grins, turning to his wife who sheepishly nods her head as she glides towards him.

"I had an amazing time, darling," she smiles and pecks him on the lips. "Lost him at the spiral staircase. Poor thing didn't know what he was up against."

"You're so cruel sometimes, Natsumi."

"And that's why you love me, honey," she says , flicking his nose. "You avoided my question."

"Let her find out for herself, I'd love to see her reaction later," Kazuko smirks. He pushes his glasses further up the bridge of his nose.

"Alright, if you say so. But if she ends up blaming us for all her problems later in life, It'll be your fault."

"Are you two really gonna let your daughter join a host club!?" Both parents whirl around to see a panting Akito Kimura at the doorway. He's bent over and has his hands on his knees. He stares up at them with disbelief.

The two glance at each other for a moment and devilish grins spread on their faces as they sprint for the door. Akito yelps in surprise and jumps to the side again to avoid a collision. He stares after them, speechless.

"Wait, Mrs. Fujishima!" He sobs and chases after them once more. "Why must you always do this to me?"