Chapter 65: The Best Friend

"I'm coming!" Kristen shouted from the kitchen maybe, making it sound like her mouth is stuffed and full of something she's eating. I laughed.

The door opened, making a smiling Kristen on her baggy black jacket, which I suppose is Calum's, welcome me with a hug. She looked so happy to see me, and it made my heart flutter.

"What's keeping you busy?" I asked with a laugh, still standing at her doorstep.

"I'm making coffee flavored pancakes but every time I finish one I always end up eating them right away." She laughed and rolled her eyes, making me do the same thing. "Come on in!"

I followed her as she make her way back to the kitchen. I couldn't take away the smile I have on my face. She looks so happy, and I couldn't ask for a perfect view. There's nothing better than seeing the important person in your life in her happiest mood.

"What made you invent something like that?" I asked again out of nowhere with a light laugh, looking at all the half burnt coffee flavored pancakes she was able to finish.

"Well," She grinned. "I woke up wanting to have a cup of coffee, and some pancakes. To make things easier, I tried to combine them. It's not that bad." She looked at me and winked.

I shook my head. "You, my friend, is one heck of a-"

"Genius." She cut me off and laughed.

"I was about to say-"

"Ah!" She pointed at me with a fork and smiled, making me stop. She placed a plate with three pieces of the pancake and a maple syrup. They smell nice.

"Go ahead and try my masterpiece, Clifford." She stated and raised an eyebrow at me. I smiled and rolled my eyes.

I took one slice and started putting it on my mouth. I don't want to show any emotion, but her pancakes tasted really good. I never thought coffee would be a perfect flavor for a pancake. I was never that much into coffee, but I think I would be now. It feels like I lived. I don't want to stop stuffing my mouth with it.

"So?" She started speaking again. "What do you think?"

I finished my plate and kept a serious look on my face as I look at her. My eyes met her gray ones. I suddenly felt chills down my spine. I brushed it all of away

"I don't like it." I stated, trying my best not to laugh.

"But you ate it all!" She exclaimed. I laughed.

"I was just kidding!" I admitted and ended up in fits of laughter. "If you could only see your face right now."

I kept laughing as she kept the angry look on her face, then gave in and laughed with me in unison.

"I love it," I admitted and smiled.

I love it just like how I love you.

"Well then thank you, Clifford." She smiled at me again.

She took the plate and walked towards the sink to wash all of the things she used. Silence conquered the room, but it wasn't awkward at all. I rested my elbows at the kitchen counter as I look down at my feet. I keep trying to stop all the weird things inside my head, but they won't stop coming. I'm afraid that in any moment, I would accidentally utter words. Words that I'm afraid for her to hear from me, although I'm completely and desperately dying to say it all to her. It's not that I don't have enough guts to say. It's because I'm afraid on what might happen. I just don't know where to stand. I'm perfectly fine being her best friend. I'm okay being the person she can always count on, the person she can always lean on. But I couldn't stop wondering what if. What if I took a chance and tell her everything? What if I tell her I love her? Would that even matter? It's always overwhelming to see that she's always happy to see me. But what could that mean? I don't really know what she really feels. But I am pretty sure that it's all still Calum, and I couldn't be greater than him.