Chapter 60

I slept on and off again that night because everytime I actually fell into a deep sleep, I saw him. I heard his voice in my head, his last words to me over and over again.

I love you, Mira.

I could hear the horrifying rattling sound his chest had made with every breath he took, saw every detail in his skin as it turned to ash and cracked. I could see the light leave his once-beautiful eyes.

Three times I woke up either shaken or screaming but it was the fourth time, the time I didn't wake up until May beat down the locked door, that I made a resolution never to sleep again. To just go until I passed out. Unfortunately, my resolution didn't last very long because the next thing I knew, I was woken by Jane.

"Mira? Agent May wanted me to get you up. She says you have to keep a regular sleep schedule. Breakfast is ready when you want it." My stomach rumbled. I hadn't eaten dinner because of May's arrival last night.

"Fine."

Ten minutes later, the five of us were sitting around the little circle table in the kitchen, using chairs from different rooms in the house. May was the only one who wasn't eating, she was standing in the corner watching me with an emotionless face. It was getting a little creepy. Nobody was saying anything and it was really bothering me, we were all facing each other eating Shreddies and some of us drinking coffee.

"He's gonna come back." We all looked at Darcy.

"But...y'a know. Last time he was gone for like two years."

"Well, it's only been two days."

"Did he say anything before he left?"

"Yeah, he had to figure some stuff out with his father...we kinda committed treason....on our way out." And only now was she realizing what Odin could do to Thor.

"The old coot needs an heir to the throne." I put in bitterly, "And with Frigga gone, he won't remarry. He needs Thor alive. He might never come back but at least he'll still be alive." Without waiting for a reply, I shoved the remainder of the rip-off of Life Cereal into my mouth, cleared my bowl, and went back to my room. With nothing to do, I decided to look through the bag of belongings May had brought me. In it, I found two changes of clothes, a nightgown, and my electronic devices. Was this all they had brought me?

"The rest of the things we brought are in a suitcase waiting for you on the Bus."

"The Bus?"

"Our plane. Now where do you want us to take you? I have spoken with Jane and she doesn't seem eager to have you stick around."

"I wonder why." I muttered, but allowed May to continue.

"I know Stark would be accommodating if we were to drop you off at the tower, I know that Banner is already staying with him. You don't want to go back to Asgard and we don't know where the other Avengers live. Do you want to back to your apartment in LA?"

"No." I had unlocked my phone and was scrolling through my contacts, "Do you know where Steve is staying? Captain America. Is he still in DC?"

"I believe so, yes."

"Do you make a habit out of stalking the people who saved the world?"

"We make a habit of knowing where our assets are should we have need of them." She rephrased. My phone had already synced up with the time zone here and it was 11am, putting it at 6am in DC. Probably early enough to call Steve.

"Mira?" He answered on the first ring, "I saw the footage from London, are you ok?" May left the room and shut the door.

"Yeah–no–I don't know." My itchy eyes were becoming irritated by tears again. He had no clue.